AFD4v thread into intake port effects velocity?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

joe_351
AFD4v thread into intake port effects velocity?

Post by joe_351 »

I viewed a set of bare AFD4v heads and noticed the rocker stud thread is machined right through some of the intake ports.

The supplier advised that this should not effect their flow/performance, but i find this hard to believe.

Can somebody shed some light on this?
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

I viewed a set of bare AFD4v heads and noticed the rocker stud thread is machined right through some of the intake ports.

The supplier advised that this should not effect their flow/performance, but i find this hard to believe.

Can somebody shed some light on this?
you must have never seen a SBC Canted Valve head ? :)

http://www.maxracesoftware.com/Chevy_ca ... roof_3.jpg

as long as the Rocker Stud has a little Green Loctite or dab of Silicone on the threads, it won't let Oil get sucked by threads into Intake port

the best way is to custom grind rocker/shaft mount studs that protrude into Intake ports flush...if they are just a little upwards with a recess its OK also ...too much recess can cause a little more weird turbulence and even a "Whistler" :)

GM-Chevy put the HeadBolt Hole directly in the most "CRITICAL" part of the Short Turn Peak !!! i don't think this was entirely dictated by necessity ???, but could have been used as an "advantage"
=> because if you play around with Fasterner height or a little Silicone on that short HeadBolt in that area..you can pickup Flow, and "steer" the Air Mixture a little where you want it to go !

To answer your question...overall things like that will have tiny , most times unoticeable effects on HP/TQ....overall don't worry about a small recess at the Rocker Stud location at the Roof ..but do grind flush any Stud protrusion and use Green Loctite on threads or Silicone
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com