Where to find good used flow equipment?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bad95Gts
Pro
Pro
Post by Bad95Gts »

Ive played with the thought of trying the Audie stuff myself
He makes a very user freindly measuring device.

The problems with all benches is no different than a dyno.It is quite hard too compare one to the other.
Somwhere along the way we decided too sell heads based on flow rather than there performance potential.The customer is now educated to this effect and we are stuck with this mentality.
If my bench reads 20 percent lower than my competitors bench but we both have improved the same cylinder head the same amount ,but with differing final numbers then what.
If you are in it for having the highest numbers and strictly for sales purpose then a Commercial bench is what you need.
You can develop heads with a home built bench just as well but you might lose credibility with your customers with a bench that does not follow suit with the industry standard.
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

ozrace wrote:The problem with the orifice style bench I believe, is that there are no engineering standards for an orifice used in that manner. The only standards available are based on an orifice mounted in a pipe.
Actual flow through an orifice of a given size can vary depending on the finish of the edge of the hole, plate thickness, etc.
This is why it is so hard to calibrate a home made orifice based bench, as CrazyCuda said.
You can't do it by calculation, so how do you do it ? In most cases it is done by comparison. i.e. get a head (or calibration plate) flowed on a Superflow, and try to calibrate from that.
In a lot of ways, a pitot based bench is an easier, and possibly more accurate solution.

At the end of the day, many home made benches work great for showing whether you have gone forwards or backwards with flow mods, but if you have customers that need Industry Standard figures, you need a commercial bench (or a fairly sophisticated and calibrated home built bench).
i know that i cant copy anyones work expecting the same # thats not really the point, its because i know that many of the DIY benchs run only 600 cfm like me not 1200 like the msd one, many of the people dont like the msd calibration plate and have made their own, if people give me some ideas it will save alot of time then if i spend my time building one from scratch
Boport

Post by Boport »

Just as a follow-up,

I put a order in on a Saenz 600 from Jamison today. Seems like a great product at a great price. They told me these benches are just as if not more accurate than a SF600, and are calibrated to the National Standard's Institute specs. Jamison seems like a good company to deal with, and cant wait to fire this thing up! Thanks for the help "changing my mind" on a superflow :)

Bo