alcohol drag carb.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mars
alcohol drag carb.

Post by mars »

Can someone please tell me why Braswell continues to put 2 power valves in alcohol drag race carbs ??
1 in the primary’s, which I don’t have a problem with.
And 1 in the secondaries, yet it has jet extensions ??
Went racing on weekend and one of the other cars that travelled with us had this brand new carb on his 9 sec bracket car.
It lost 3 tenths over a home made alcohol carb .
Mechanical fuel system is good 3-4 psi idle 12-13 psi at revs, front mount tank.
After pulling it down for him to try and help, I couldn't believe it had a rear power valve ?
He would not remove it as he said Braswell obviously knows what he is doing !
Well either one of us is wrong ????????

Mars....
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

a worse Alcohol Carb modification is when they drill a Jet Hole above the
original Holley Jet Hole, so as to be able to use gasoline range size Jets.

on a hard leaving Car, even if you had rear jet extensions those extra drilled rear metering-plate Jet holes are uncovered sucking Air instead of Alcohol and i've seen it hurt 3 tenths...good way lean out torch the rear Cylinders

same thing when squeezed down type Jet extensions are used without the rear float being notched...then the rear float will just sit ontop those jet extensions....when you check the float level is looks correct, but as you launch the Car the float can't drop far enough down to let the Needle/Seat flow enough Fuel in acceleration mode.

i had a Ford 514 CID Racer come to Dyno after he kept detonating a few of the rear Cylinders....the 1st Dyno test it immediately showed up that the rear of the Carb was metering 40:1+ A/F and the front part of the Carb was metering a normal 14.0:1 A/F .
we had checked the Float levels before the 1st Test, but hadn't removed the Bowls, but after the 1st Test, the rear bowl was removed and found the float was never notched and the float was sitting ontop of the jet extensions barely passing enough gasoline to make the float level showup correctly in the sight glass.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com