Mopar P5 Engines, Most powerful Small block?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

la360
Expert
Expert

Mopar P5 Engines, Most powerful Small block?

Post by la360 »

In what very little info I get over here on NHRA racing , I have seen a few more of the Mopar P5 engines popping up in Comp Eliminator. I read in a short article in one of the Mopar Mags about the old Eaton Pro Stock Truck running a 357 cube P5 engine that made a claimed 985hp.
I am curious as too what kind of HP can be acheived with one of these engines, a local racer in running a 410 cube P5 engine in Larry Morgan's old Avenger in our Pro Stock. He just set a new ET record
Anyone have any experience's with these engines?
Thanks
AL...
PSFAN
Post by PSFAN »

:lol: From the information I have that particular motor is 399ci. The guy down there is doing some very interesting R & D at the moment and has 2 of the "hemi" style motors that are really starting to "run" compared to his current converted 358 P5.

The 358 P5 hemi in the PST did make that power without any Significant testing yet.

As to their potential, we will know in the later part of the year with some new development yet to come to fruition.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

Their old W8 engine was a 399ci too, very interesting
AL...
PSFAN
Mopar Small Block

Post by PSFAN »

la360 wrote:Their old W8 engine was a 399ci too, very interesting
AL...
la360, I heard today that Pro Stock is going to be very interesting in 'Oz' in the next couple of weeks. That Mopar is looking threatening.

Can you post any results or info as you get them ? :wink:
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

I can, or I would suggest having a look at www.dragster.com.au
Most of the news is quite up to date, and that's basically where I would be getting it from. All racing is interstate for me at the moment.
AL...
BigPurp

Post by BigPurp »

IMO in the world of $$$ is no object give me the fastest most powerful motor available, the R4/P5 mopar combo is WAY up on the list. The W8/Aluminum R3 setup would be a close 2nd.