Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head......

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head......

Post by CGT »

piston guy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm Factory Stock has more followers than Pro Stock
From a long time Pro Stock fan, who has been disinterested in Pro Stock for several several years now. Factory Stock is cool, very fun to watch and follow. Pro Stock is all but dead to me....the changes have been too little, too late.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

JoePorting wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am What was the point of this project? Why make a head that is just like a DRCE head? What was suppose to be better about it? Seems like an insult to Ford to make a new Ford engine just like a BBC engine.
To make a competitive head.
There are only two themes with very small variations that are usable to make a competitive head.

Everything else has a feature that makes them incapable of the last 5-10% required.

What "Ford" layout do you imagine could be competitive today?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I'm not a Ford guy, so I wouldn't know which one of there head configurations would work best. But I think if someone worked them long enough, they'd find one that would work. That's the challenge. Like they say, "If it was easy, everyone would do it".
Joe Facciano
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

JoePorting wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 am I'm not a Ford guy, so I wouldn't know which one of there head configurations would work best. But I think if someone worked them long enough, they'd find one that would work. That's the challenge. Like they say, "If it was easy, everyone would do it".
Valve placement has more to do with "working them enough" you can make a hug hole flow air but can the engine use it efficiently?
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

CGT wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:16 pm
piston guy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm Factory Stock has more followers than Pro Stock
From a long time Pro Stock fan, who has been disinterested in Pro Stock for several several years now. Factory Stock is cool, very fun to watch and follow. Pro Stock is all but dead to me....the changes have been too little, too late.
Once they have changed things so much a fan can't be tribal.. they are done for. A few drivers with no personality who are only on camera a few minutes at best driving a bland looking car with an engine that doesn't resemble anything a normal guy is ever gonna get their hands on and has long long ago left any resemblance to any factory engine that their favorite (tribal) car make ever offered.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Bos's5.0 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 am Once they have changed things so much a fan can't be tribal.. they are done for. A few drivers with no personality who are only on camera a few minutes at best driving a bland looking car with an engine that doesn't resemble anything a normal guy is ever gonna get their hands on and has long long ago left any resemblance to any factory engine that their favorite (tribal) car make ever offered.
Exactly
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

MTENGINES wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 am
JoePorting wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 am I'm not a Ford guy, so I wouldn't know which one of there head configurations would work best. But I think if someone worked them long enough, they'd find one that would work. That's the challenge. Like they say, "If it was easy, everyone would do it".
Valve placement has more to do with "working them enough" you can make a hug hole flow air but can the engine use it efficiently?
Exactly, people talk about flow bench numbers because that is what they have equipment to measure, and to a hammer, everything is a nail.

You also must minimize:
* chamber surface area
* valve-train mass
* awkward geometry
* uneven cooling
* casting distortion
* weight
* clamping
* manifold/runner fit

None of those features will be what you want them to be when you have designed the best head that you can.
The goal is to find the best set of compromizes.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

If you watch Street Outlaws, you would know that one of the best running cars is Big Chief with his turbo Pontiac motor. So if the characteristics of the DRCE motor is so vastley superior to the Pontiac motor, why does Big Chief's car run so good to the point of beating most DRCE type motors? Makes you question everything. I personally believe 80% of ICE theories are wrong or misleading.
Joe Facciano
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

JoePorting wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm I personally believe 80% of ICE theories are wrong or misleading.
You should start a thread with that title.

Randy
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

JoePorting wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm If you watch Street Outlaws, you would know that one of the best running cars is Big Chief with his turbo Pontiac motor. So if the characteristics of the DRCE motor is so vastley superior to the Pontiac motor, why does Big Chief's car run so good to the point of beating most DRCE type motors?

Dude.......
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

tenxal wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm
JoePorting wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm If you watch Street Outlaws, you would know that one of the best running cars is Big Chief with his turbo Pontiac motor. So if the characteristics of the DRCE motor is so vastley superior to the Pontiac motor, why does Big Chief's car run so good to the point of beating most DRCE type motors?

Dude.......
Yeah.. I typed up a long response.. But realized it would have just been a waste.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

JoePorting wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm If you watch Street Outlaws, you would know that one of the best running cars is Big Chief with his turbo Pontiac motor. So if the characteristics of the DRCE motor is so vastley superior to the Pontiac motor, why does Big Chief's car run so good to the point of beating most DRCE type motors? Makes you question everything. I personally believe 80% of ICE theories are wrong or misleading.
Are you seriously comparing a TV show turbocharged engine to a professionally developed NA engine to evaluate the platform?

A parallel valve head on a 4.6x bore spacing with 4 bolt clamping pattern (Pontiac) has roughly 2/3rds the power potential of a DRCE based engine.

I think I know where you are going,,,
The questions you are seeking answers to on your SBC head were answered 60+ years ago.
It makes me sad to see you going in the opposite direction of evidence, wasting time and money to rediscover this in an era when it can be simulated with very high fidelity for a small fraction of the cost.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

JoePorting wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm If you watch Street Outlaws, you would know that one of the best running cars is Big Chief with his turbo Pontiac motor. So if the characteristics of the DRCE motor is so vastley superior to the Pontiac motor, why does Big Chief's car run so good to the point of beating most DRCE type motors? Makes you question everything. I personally believe 80% of ICE theories are wrong or misleading.
Wait a minute...

If we are throwing out all the apples and oranges of N/A, cubic inch rules, boost etc....it’s hard to beat a fuel hemi

Although that NASA has a few strong performers from Bowing and Lockeed Martin... 8)
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:29 pm
Are you seriously comparing a TV show turbocharged engine to a professionally developed NA engine to evaluate the platform?

A parallel valve head on a 4.6x bore spacing with 4 bolt clamping pattern (Pontiac) has roughly 2/3rds the power potential of a DRCE based engine.

I think I know where you are going,,,
The questions you are seeking answers to on your SBC head were answered 60+ years ago.
It makes me sad to see you going in the opposite direction of evidence, wasting time and money to rediscover this in an era when it can be simulated with very high fidelity for a small fraction of the cost.
Sincd when is Butler Performance stuff considered "tv show turbocharged", whatever that means? Last I heard, he was going to CV1 heads that Anderson Port Development was doing.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I have to laugh.

Cross flow heads work well because it lowers the octane requirement. All other heads try to achieve the "super cooling" effect of cross flow and still put DOWNWARD flow. If a dynamic head can increase DOWNWARD flow, it will be the king.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl