Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head......

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Bos's5.0 wrote:...have anything what so ever to do with the companies they represent.

The only connection to the production designs,
is the number of cylinders and name on the check.

Just like "Harley" in NHRA Pro Stock bikes.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

"You can't please all the people all the time"

If they used a 429 or 460 style design they would make the stock Ford authentic people happy but the people that want an engine that could win would be sad.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary Blair »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:"You can't please all the people all the time"

If they used a 429 or 460 style design they would make the stock Ford authentic people happy but the people that want an engine that could win would be sad.
As long as it is a clean sheet design and not a clone that should prove quite innovative.

The current A-500 block and E-460 head share very little with the 385 series engine family.
fordhemi
Post by fordhemi »

Darin Morgan wrote:Its all still rolling forward. Actually things are happening pretty quickly from where I sit. It usually takes at least a year (or more) for a project like this to finalize. Heck guys, we met in September of last year and we are not even a full nine months into it. This is the fastest Pro Stock engine design to come out I have ever seen. :shock:

Tooling is being machined and the hard parts are right around the corner.
THANKS FOR ALL THE UPDATES DARIN!! :wink:
fordhemi
Post by fordhemi »

Well looks like things are moving right alone!! Bring on the mustang pro-stocks!

http://www.stangtv.com/forum/2009-ford- ... l#post9586
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

With the Bankruptcies does anyone have any idea which OEM racing programs will be funded next year?
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

Apparently the guvment motors cars may be running short on parts before years end.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.ph ... 0&Itemid=7
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
fordhemi
Post by fordhemi »

mach9 wrote:Apparently the guvment motors cars may be running short on parts before years end.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.ph ... 0&Itemid=7

Thats not good!.......Looks like everbody will be in a ford before long. And that would be as bad as everone running a GM car. You need all the makes out there! :wink:
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Sounds like with all the OEM bankruptcies we could change the name from "Pro Stock Racing" to "Ford Racing".

Somehow the phrase "Fiat Pro-Stock" just doesn't sound right.
phoenix
Pro
Pro

Post by phoenix »

Looks like they took a Mopar Hemi head and a DRCE3 head and designed a new block to fit either one. I'll bet the Hemi will even take a Mopar valve cover. No wonder NHRA was so compliant accepting this engine. These factors will probably ease the transition for Mopar & GM guys to swap to a Ford with a limited learning curve.
I would have liked to seen something that was uniquely Ford when the hood is off! :roll:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

I would have liked to seen something that was uniquely Ford when the hood is off!
One thing a lot of people don't understand about engine/cylinder head design is there are really only a couple of configurations that can even be made to work mechanically.

Sure it's easy to say, "I'll just put the valves here and the ports there" etc. but when you actually start putting in the lifter bores, head bolts and valve train, you quickly find that cylinder head design is all about what compromises you make to have your goals fit together.

All of the compromises are connected in a chain, for example, let's say you start with a design like the old 429 Ford with the long exhaust rockers that you want to improve. You decide you want to have a shorter exhaust rocker so you start moving lifter bores and valves, hmmm, the head bolt pattern I wanted won't work now, so you change that, hmmm that puts a bolt through the side of a port, so you move that, hmmm and finally you work out a new set of compromises that meet your goal of having the shorter exhaust rocker but guess what; you have just morphed it into either a canted valve head like a BBCs or something like a Hemi.

If you think you can just design whatever you want and it will all fit together, try it.
phoenix
Pro
Pro

Post by phoenix »

Jon, never said I could do better at engineering a new engine. I would have liked to see it look a little different rather than exact clone. When Sonny used Tom Roberts head he changed the valve cover shape. We all knew what it was underneath, but he made it his own.
Buy the way, Rick Smith (Trick Flow) came up with the "Mirrored" Hemi head design before Mopar. It was for a proposed 4.5 BS SB engine with 9 cam bearings about 10 or eleven years ago. He wanted to use it in PST.
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary Blair »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
I would have liked to seen something that was uniquely Ford when the hood is off!
One thing a lot of people don't understand about engine/cylinder head design is there are really only a couple of configurations that can even be made to work mechanically.

Sure it's easy to say, "I'll just put the valves here and the ports there" etc. but when you actually start putting in the lifter bores, head bolts and valve train, you quickly find that cylinder head design is all about what compromises you make to have your goals fit together.

All of the compromises are connected in a chain, for example, let's say you start with a design like the old 429 Ford with the long exhaust rockers that you want to improve. You decide you want to have a shorter exhaust rocker so you start moving lifter bores and valves, hmmm, the head bolt pattern I wanted won't work now, so you change that, hmmm that puts a bolt through the side of a port, so you move that, hmmm and finally you work out a new set of compromises that meet your goal of having the shorter exhaust rocker but guess what; you have just morphed it into either a canted valve head like a BBCs or something like a Hemi.

If you think you can just design whatever you want and it will all fit together, try it.
More like a canted valve head like a Cleveland 9.5° X 3.5°. Seems like most canted valve Pro Stock heads have evolved from the Cleveland not the BBC.
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary Blair »

phoenix wrote:Jon, never said I could do better at engineering a new engine. I would have liked to see it look a little different rather than exact clone. When Sonny used Tom Roberts head he changed the valve cover shape. We all knew what it was underneath, but he made it his own.
Buy the way, Rick Smith (Trick Flow) came up with the "Mirrored" Hemi head design before Mopar. It was for a proposed 4.5 BS SB engine with 9 cam bearings about 10 or eleven years ago. He wanted to use it in PST.
Thank you. The Dodge mirror is a copy of a Ford resin model that has a Ford Racing PN. It dates to 1999.