540 BBC Street Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

35window
Post by 35window »

cfm wrote:Is the 496 still alive ? This will should get to 600hp with the Eddy heads and good HR cam, no? I understand the attraction to the 540, but since it hasn't been built yet I figured I'd ask about the 496.
Yes, I still have a good Gen VI 454 Block(standard Bore and Forged 454 Scat (I think?) Crank-it's been pressure tested and baked/blasted)-kind of a shame, I work for a Company that has GM Dealerships, and, my first 454 GenVI (Warranty Engine-broke a Ring) was stolen from a gated Storage Facility where I was keeping it, so I found this 454 at a Machine Shop-
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

I'm not sure were all the concern is with acheaving his goal of mild 600hp 540ci and Edelbrock oval with out major head and intake work :?

I have many 525hp 396ci engines with those pieces.

Even some 427ci with stock 049 heads with valve work and ait gap intakes that made 550hp.

I have 496ci engines with 320rhs heads stock that tip 650hp
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
35window
Post by 35window »

airflowdevelop wrote:I personally wouldn't "try" and make power below 5k rpm... with the large displacement... and tight induction system you will end up with a gas powered diesel... Have watched many people build dishearting tug boats...getting caught up in the street car needs all the power it can make at low RPM... Magazines have punished intelligent people with all this low lift flow / small ports / 2000 RPM TQ bs!

So If I disect your post... I think what you are really saying is:

1. I want a driver... Plenty of power for cruising and part throttle passing.
2. Please give it some manners... I don't want to feel like Jason Line when sitting at a stop light.
3. When I hit the loud button... I want it to go like a greased pig on plexiglass... Keep the power coming until 6500...

If this isn't what you are thinking... disregaurd the rest of my post.

Your recipe..
1. You CAN make the edie ovals work for your combo...they will need a fair amount of work to get enough CSA.
2. Your porter AND your camshaft guy must get along...and explain to them what you REALLY want. If both guys are doing there job...they will deliver it.
3. As someone else pointed out... your intake manifold is VERY important.. especially since no one tends to pay attention to Oval port intakes. Spend some money here.

Thanks
Dennis
Dennis,

Thank you very much for your input-you are correct-I'm not Jason Line (although I know the guy who just painted his new Helmet! :lol: )-I would say you are spot-on in your assessment. If this Car sees the Track more than once in it's life it would be a miracle.

I'm one of those idiots that has considered a Mutha Thumpr for the sound (please forgive me :oops: ), and although I've never had 600 h.p. on the street, I can't believe that I need more-I've had some pretty hot small blocks on the street, and some of them were no fun to live with-I want my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again, I guess I need to really study what everyone is saying here and figure out a plan-
67RS502
Expert
Expert

Post by 67RS502 »

I would do this (mild ora bit wild):
540 - 10.5:1+/-
HP1000 minimum (with spacers)
Dart oval port intake, or Super Vic rect.
Eddy ovals – ported, or just get some decent rect. Heads (Canfields or RHS are cheap and decent)
2” headers with minimum 3” exhaust with good muffs (3 ½” would be better)
Then keep the cam mild, I believe something in the 230s/240s would make 600HP and be very
Streetable. If you want more power throw some more stick at it, 250s/260s should make around
700+hp with decent heads and nothing special in the short block, but would have a mean idle.
One thing that makes ‘em nice on the street is a tight stall – a 10” 2500 (4000 flash) would be really
nice especially with the mild cam. A tight converter and mild cam would make it mild and very
nice to cruise. Don’t forget the fuel system – overkill!
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
35window
Post by 35window »

3V Performance wrote:I'm not sure were all the concern is with acheaving his goal of mild 600hp 540ci and Edelbrock oval with out major head and intake work :?

Even some 427ci with stock 049 heads with valve work and ait gap intakes that made 550hp.

3v,

Can I assume these Engines have Single Planes? If so, were they Victors? One thing that I don't think that I have addressed is the fact that I am at elevation, and I believe I will lose 15% or so just for that. I know having a roller will help, however I do have a bit of an issue in that while the Headers are long tube, they are 1 7/8" (Custom made to fit the Chassis)-

Thanks. Not sure how these issues affect things-and, I believe that I should have a Converter in the 3000 rpm range-I hope I am being realistic here-
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

I think what Dennis is trying to say is there would be much more power with a proper csa for the cubic inches. Ignoring the goal of 600hp here and bulding it as you would if you were really trying to make it run which would very easily blow right past the 600hp mark by a wide margin.

Dennis also makes a good point particular porters like to work with certain cam guys and when paired up the results are VERY good.

Once again, dont worry about the low rpm stuff too terribly much, if you get the rest of it right the low rpm will be there too. In fact with this size engine I generally try to kill it some. Low rpm worries are for 5.0 fords and people without stalls. A bit of vacuum and a reasonable idle rpm should be the only real concerns there.
35window
Post by 35window »

67RS502 wrote:I would do this (mild ora bit wild):
540 - 10.5:1+/-
HP1000 minimum (with spacers)
Dart oval port intake, or Super Vic rect.
Eddy ovals – ported, or just get some decent rect. Heads (Canfields or RHS are cheap and decent)
2” headers with minimum 3” exhaust with good muffs (3 ½” would be better)
Then keep the cam mild, I believe something in the 230s/240s would make 600HP and be very
Streetable. If you want more power throw some more stick at it, 250s/260s should make around
700+hp with decent heads and nothing special in the short block, but would have a mean idle.
One thing that makes ‘em nice on the street is a tight stall – a 10” 2500 (4000 flash) would be really
nice especially with the mild cam. A tight converter and mild cam would make it mild and very
nice to cruise. Don’t forget the fuel system – overkill!
67RS502,

Thanks, I was typing while you posted this. I'm o.k. with more Duration, so 250/260 is o.k.-as for Fuel System, I've already plumbed it with 3/8" Stainless, so I think I'm o.k. there. I sure wouldn't mind a 2500 Stall if I can get away with it.

I hope this acceptable, but since everyone is being so helpful I though I'd show a little of what I am doing. Here's a couple of pics (as of a Month ago), I now have the Body on the Frame and am building a internal tubing structure-

Thanks to everyone :notworthy: [/img]
Last edited by 35window on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35window
Post by 35window »

jdavis wrote:I think what Dennis is trying to say is there would be much more power with a proper csa for the cubic inches. Ignoring the goal of 600hp here and bulding it as you would if you were really trying to make it run which would very easily blow right past the 600hp mark by a wide margin.

Dennis also makes a good point particular porters like to work with certain cam guys and when paired up the results are VERY good.

Once again, dont worry about the low rpm stuff too terribly much, if you get the rest of it right the low rpm will be there too. In fact with this size engine I generally try to kill it some. Low rpm worries are for 5.0 fords and people without stalls. A bit of vacuum and a reasonable idle rpm should be the only real concerns there.
I think I'm, getting it-maybe it wouldn't hurt to do a little bit AND make sure everyone gets together. It's just so counter-intuitive to try and pull out the bottom end when it's a street car-I mean it doesn't HAVE to stop at 600, maybe a little more wouldn't hurt :roll:

Thanks for talking to a "little" guy (lower h.p.)-having a direction means more than you know, as I have agonized over this for a long time-
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

Well i'll put it like this, a 540 even one that is somewhat high strung will put out as much or more torque at 2500rpm than even a very stout street 383 or 400 can muster at peak. How much more do you really need?
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

35window wrote:
3V Performance wrote:I'm not sure were all the concern is with acheaving his goal of mild 600hp 540ci and Edelbrock oval with out major head and intake work :?

3v,

Can I assume these Engines have Single Planes? If so, were they Victors? One thing that I don't think that I have addressed is the fact that I am at elevation, and I believe I will lose 15% or so just for that. I know having a roller will help, however I do have a bit of an issue in that while the Headers are long tube, they are 1 7/8" (Custom made to fit the Chassis)-

Thanks. Not sure how these issues affect things-and, I believe that I should have a Converter in the 3000 rpm range-I hope I am being realistic here-
#EDE7561 rpm air gap oval port on the 427's. These just seem to work real good for these builds.

#EDE2900 Victor jr on the 396

Headers will be fine.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
35window
Post by 35window »

jdavis wrote:Well i'll put it like this, a 540 even one that is somewhat high strung will put out as much or more torque at 2500rpm than even a very stout street 383 or 400 can muster at peak. How much more do you really need?

:mrgreen: