Gear Drives

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

Gear Drives

Post by 70MC » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:03 am

I am now using a Jesel belt drive and am not happy with belt life in my application. This is a street/strip car with a sbc and a roller cam. I have had good luck with timing chains, but thought a belt drive would be better. I never wanted to use a gear drive since i have heard they transmit harmonics, but am now thinking of going to a fixed idler gear drive setup.
I would like to hear how the engine builders here feel about gear drives, and if used what brand?

Thanks Jim.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work

dirtnap

Post by dirtnap » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:19 am

Check out the Shaver - Wesmar gear drives .I have used nothing else for the past few years and have had no problems.

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:46 am

I have never had the opportunity to see evidence of this harmonics causing a problem. Logic says it is there but is it a problem for 99.9% of us? Doubtful.

I have run gear drives for 30 years and while I use the belt drives on some customer engines (it's the in thing) I won't on mine. I think the reason is that I see what we all see with any kind of belt. That flexing and flapping in and out gives me pause. I also have broken more than one blower belt sooo I figure, perhaps incorrectly, that it's only a matter of luck and time.........

Have a safe race
Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:04 pm

I would imagine this thread will generate as much emotion as fact. I've run chains, gear drives and now belts on my own stuff and alot of customer engines. I can honestly say non of them has caused us much grief except for some bad chains quite a few years ago. Of the gear drives I tried, I liked the Summers Bros. fixed idler set-up. It was easy to install and rugged as an anvil. I believe there is horsepower to be gained by running belt drives, there are no free lunches, part of the neccesary evil is maintance.

70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks for info. I am happy to here of some fixed idler drives since i am not familier with them and have not heard of the ones mentioned so far, again thanks.

Jim

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:49 pm

I run a Pete Jackson gear drive on a 434 SBC that I originally built back in 1991 and don't like it because if the engine turned backwards at all when you shut it off there was an interfearance problem with a couple of cam lobes and connecting rods, yeah, it's that close. The slack in that dual idler setup just isnt' the best way to go. The fixed idler sounds like it might be a better choice.

Now I complain about my Jackson unit but it's still in the engine 14 years later :wink: and went 5.39 @ 129 (eight mile) in my dragster a couple of weeks ago on PUMP GAS. Yes, this engine started out as a Pro Streeter and wound up in my dragster. It's on alcohol now and went 5.34 @ 130 last weekend running about two jet sizes lean.

So what I'm saying is that even though I don't like some of the stuff about this gear drive it has worked, kinda, for a long time and I plan to run it until this engine pukes! Next setup will be back to theCloyes true roller set!

Ken
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:06 pm

Has anyone had any experiance with Milodons gear drive?