rotating assemby:

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dwwv4

rotating assemby:

Post by dwwv4 »

i"am going to build an sb2.2 motor, 428 ci. going to use callies xl crank 45 lbs. 400 mains 2" rod journal. dyer 300m. rods 6.250 lng. 646grms. je gas ported pistons 410 grms. was told by one engine builder, that the 2" journal was to small for the 4" stroke, and another builder says they do it all the time... any body any thoughts??

ps this engine is for lm dirt track. thanks
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Just my opinion, if Callies recommends their crank for that application, I wouldn't look back. Done lots of 350 main and 2.000 rods on 3.750 stroke and never had an issue even with cast cranks if ground right and internally balanced. Seems you are ahead of the game buy looking at lighter recepricating weights. If the car ever gets off the ground, mag the crank.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I would much rather try the 2" rod journals along with 400 sized mains than with 350 or 327 journal mains, and I doubt that many people actually use 400 mains so I would expect their comments to reflect that.
-The large diameter of the 400 mains means there is more actual strength at the stressed connecting metal segments between the rod throws and the mains.
----------------------------------------------
-One thing I do NOT see is people practicing the art of shotpeening the radius's of the racing cranks.
-Granted the cranks are super hard but shotpeening the radius's and all other stressed metal of the crank is still an effective way to lengthen the time you can run crank before an actual crack will start.
-------------------------------------------------
-Just because you have the state of the art metals doesn't mean they can't be made better by shotpeening, cryogenics, vibrations induced by shaker tables to relax the stressed metals etc.
dwwv4

Post by dwwv4 »

i was told this would weaken the crank in the overlap area of the crank, have not talked to callies yet. has anybody used a4" stroke , 2" journal with no problems?