aluminum block filling... a couple questions.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justin Jones

aluminum block filling... a couple questions.

Post by Justin Jones »

The block in question is a little Honda D series...

On the hardblok website they claim their product works fine with aluminum blocks, but the best local engine builder around here doesn't like the idea...

Here's my basic fill setup:

fill to about 1-1.5" below the deck, run a cold thermostat, large oil cooler, coolant is distilled water with anti corosion additive. also, I have some cylinder posts that I am going to thread in there.

Would it be a good idea to maybe use devcon liquid aluminum epoxy as a block filler? it's kinda expensive (55 bucks for the small container) but really there's not much block to fill with the little honduh...

Also, should I install the freeze plugs before pouring or maybe it would be a good idea to just tape them up with some duct tape and let the block filler run out to the block exterior to grab a little extra bite?

My other choice is Embeco 885, I haven't tried searching for any yet locally (up in Canada eh), but devcon stuff I know I can get at grainger. I like the idea of the aluminum epoxy because I know it will get along fine with water, and also the aluminum block's thermal properties will like it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!