General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

V-6 combo

Post by Adger Smith »

Well John,
I guess I owe you an apology for taking so much off the SS/DS index. Rich Oaks & I are always e-mailing one another. I took a bunch of heat from him. Did you notice that I stayed under 1.25 and never ran any quicker than my record at the Dallas race? I have learned to protect our index. I consider all us V-6 guys as a brotherhood. We are trying to go fast with less. Drop me your e-mail address & I'll be glad to try to help. (adgersperf@aol.com)The only Buick experience I have is with a Comp engine I built for Allen Sherman. I made pretty good power. I think he set one record with it.
Back to the compression thing. I have my car set up for a powerglide. I have had to lower the compression below 15-1. I also run a cam around 277@50. I have found c-14 to be the best fuel for my combination. It is stable @ high rpm & makes the most power without detonation. I spend a bunch of time on the converter & higher compression builds cylinder head heat & tends to detonate. It (high Compression) made great power on my dyno, but wouldn't run MPH. I think the Buick is a great engine. It is one of the best for valve gear stability & life. That is a problem I fight. I think D. Morgan was trying to tell us that engines that don't have good air flow will tend to need more compression. That goes back to the old Smokey Yunick thing about "if you can't get good air flow(cyl fill) you better squeeze what you have". Why does your 112 cam like being in @ 116? I also run a 1.98 low gear. With my 277 cu in engine I have to weigh 3157.
Ray Veirheller ran a small bore long stroke engine like yours & found it liked to work off the torque curve rather than HP. When you do that it likes to be a little fat on jet. It makes it more consistant too. Just some thoughts. Hope it helps. Let's keep in touch.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

V-6

Post by Adger Smith »

One other thing,
Do your exhaust ports ever look oily or dirty?
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

Darin Morgan wrote:
dbusch wrote:i thought the Pro Stock car stuff was only 15.0 compression. The induction system is so efficient they dont need any more than 15.0. Maybe that is wrong???

Exactly. They can be as low as 14.8:1. the inefficient engines run 15:1 to 15.5:1. The pro bike heads run about 14.5:1
nuff said. good post.