Interesting new carburetor from Pro Systems

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lluciano77
Post by lluciano77 »

From looking at the pictures, the Pro Systems boosters look like the C&S Aerosol boosters. Somehow they connect them together and both the traditional "primary and secondary" sides of the carb share in metering through a common tube. This would seem to add yet another dimension to Holley style tuning. I wonder where they set the kill bleeds and the e-holes. Do these have an effect on the other side of the carb now as changes are made to the boosters? Are the boosters going to teeter totter as you tune, or will they be independent as you enlarge or decrease the dia. of the booster discharge holes?
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Post by Troy Patterson »

Fuel delivery tubes in this carburetor is the weak point as is the case with the C&S Aerosol booster, the Kendig / Fish carb boosters. With the Kendig they countered the problem with a variable venturi. It'd be better with annular boosters hung in it - for the fuel delivery characteristics.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

If you took the time to read about this carb you would have seen where the air cleaner issue is addressed.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Post by Troy Patterson »

289nate wrote:If you took the time to read about this carb you would have seen where the air cleaner issue is addressed.
It's great the carb is as low as it is for it's size, what I'm not crazy about is the fuel delivery tubes used in place of boosters. There is a specific fuel / signal curve which is design specific that I am referring to.

By the way, how's that engine of yours? Haven't heard any more about it. Have you run it thru the 1/4 mile? Do tell.

lluciano77
Post by lluciano77 »

289nate wrote:If you took the time to read about this carb you would have seen where the air cleaner issue is addressed.
It was a joke...ah never mind.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

lluciano77 wrote:
Right on. I just wasn't sure and someone else mentioned it as well I believe. I did think your post was clever and funny. 8)

Hey Troy. Hope all is well up North. With a 4 month old baby girl (did I tell you Marsha and I got married?) I don't have much time for the car these days. I made it out to the 1/4 mile once. At Famoso in Bakersfield (LACR is long gone now) and no tuning it ran an 11.38 at 120.35 with a 1.636 60'. For a little street friendly 10:1 comp pump gas 289 I was happy to see it has some potential. This is with a 950 Holley HP based Pro Systems carb and 1.80 base plate. Still the same weekend toy '65 Mustang fastback you remember with Shelby style suspension set up for cornering and the same little 26 x 8.5 M/T slicks which is evident by the slow 60 ft.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

lluciano77 wrote:From looking at the pictures, the Pro Systems boosters look like the C&S Aerosol boosters. Somehow they connect them together and both the traditional "primary and secondary" sides of the carb share in metering through a common tube. This would seem to add yet another dimension to Holley style tuning. I wonder where they set the kill bleeds and the e-holes. Do these have an effect on the other side of the carb now as changes are made to the boosters? Are the boosters going to teeter totter as you tune, or will they be independent as you enlarge or decrease the dia. of the booster discharge holes?
According to their site, the tubes are divided in the middle. To get enough signal... I would think minimal kill/e-bleeds and a small main bleed similar to the C&S carbs.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Post by Troy Patterson »

289nate wrote:
lluciano77 wrote:
Right on. I just wasn't sure and someone else mentioned it as well I believe. I did think your post was clever and funny. 8)

Hey Troy. Hope all is well up North. With a 4 month old baby girl (did I tell you Marsha and I got married?) I don't have much time for the car these days. I made it out to the 1/4 mile once. At Famoso in Bakersfield (LACR is long gone now) and no tuning it ran an 11.38 at 120.35 with a 1.636 60'. For a little street friendly 10:1 comp pump gas 289 I was happy to see it has some potential. This is with a 950 Holley HP based Pro Systems carb and 1.80 base plate. Still the same weekend toy '65 Mustang fastback you remember with Shelby style suspension set up for cornering and the same little 26 x 8.5 M/T slicks which is evident by the slow 60 ft.
Congratulations on both marriage and the baby!!!!!!

Those are very impressive numbers. That's making some horsepower for sure. You weren't able to get traction before, I can imagine getting it off the line with those little slicks is harder still.

PRO SYSTEMS
SV1

Post by PRO SYSTEMS »

Sorry guys I don't get in here much. Especially since the release of the SV1 as we have been quite busy with it in both track testing and dyno testing in the last 8 months.

Mark had some very good questions.

Mark Whitener Quote: According to their site, the tubes are divided in the middle.

Answer: This is to allow you to tune each quadrant of the carb so each jet effects its own 1/4 of the carburetor. You can also remove the o ring sealed boosters and drill out the hole passages to fine tune them even further if you have a leaner cylinder in the middle or the edge that needs extra fuel directed toward it. The boosters just slide out.

Mark Whitener Quote: To get enough signal... I would think minimal kill/e-bleeds and a small main bleed similar to the C&S carbs.

Actually its quite the opposite. The C and S generates signal only from its tip. The SV1 generates signal all along its length communicating with the whole venturi. The signal ratio is very high and communication with the metering block is so instant we can run very large hi speed air bleeds and we use a minimum 5 stage emulsion system PLUS we use a kill bleed to further bleed off extra signal to fine tune it.

An 1100 cfm version we just took off the dyno for a customer used 7-.028ish bleed channels communicating through .041 hi speed air bleeds.

We will begin releasing dyno figures from independent sources as they come in. The first SV1's began shipping out yesterday and independent dyno figures are to follow.

OK back at it...I'll try and stop back tonight or in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your interest.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
aaron p

Post by aaron p »

Looks very very cool Patrick. Im sure it will do very well as everything you seem to touch does well. Wonder how 2 of the big ones would do on a sheet-metal. Split SV1s? :)
Speed Doctor Racing Components
Custom machined parts to your specs, lightweight billet 5/8" 12pt lug nuts!
mrgofast27@aol.com
GREG K

Post by GREG K »

hahaha...
lluciano77
Post by lluciano77 »

I was the C&S referencing, and kill bleed questions guy. Thanks for the replies.

From my research, a larger e-hole, kill bleed, or air bleed, will have the potential for better atomization. The limiting factor being you need to still arrive at the correct mixture.

You say the SV1 is using 5 e-hole, larger kill bleeds successfully. I couldn't get my BG carb to work well without reverting back to the 2 hole oldschool design. At the same AFR and with the old Holley e-hole config., I gained a few inches of vacuum pretty much everywhere but WOT. From what I understand, as the droplet size gets too small, the fuel starts to cling back together and chug through instead of mist so to speak.

The reason I mentioned the above, is that your company claims a lower idle speed capability. I am sure in back to back testing the carbs would be tuned for best idle. What I am getting at here is if you guys have been
able to get atomize better with these boosters without hitting the chugging point? Or is it that the booster that goes all the way across the venturi, uses about the same droplet size, and just delivers more evenly to each cylinder?
fastlx
Post by fastlx »

More news ???
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

any dyno reports?