SchmidtMotorWorks,

Sweet, makes me want to go clean my shop LOL

PFM
headman
Pro
Pro

out-sourcing

Post by headman »

There is nothing unethical about subcontracting work to someone else.
You still maintain responsibility for the customers satisfaction.

But, the problem with internet related advertising is the fact that sellers can hide behind there computer screen and allow the consumer to believe they are experienced and equipt to do facets of the job they send out to someone else.

"Little white lies"
When a shop carefully words their copywrite to give the impression they perform certain services "in house", they gain status as perceived by their potential customer.

"We machine your crankshaft to +/-.00005" concentricity" (as if done in house)

"We have your crankshaft machined to +/-.0005" concentricity" provide a link or picture if you like (sub. service off site)

Is that really that difficult to say?
A business owner with Integrity does not misrepresent his services.

When I see pictures of someones establishment on a web page, I expect that to be in their actual shop.

If I wanted to see pictures of someone elses shop, I'll go to that site.

I'm not naive, many shops use deceptive tactics to attract customers. Buyer beware. It is the customers responsibility to descern.
Making the world a better place... one pair of heads at a time.

The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
Edward Bulwer-lytton
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

Very nice shops and set-ups. While I like to think my shop is one of the best in my area, I also have to admit that I am pretty much in the middle of nowhere, just south of the boonies. With little in the way of race tracks within a 200 mile radius, we don't have much call for high-dollar race engine work. SOMEDAY I hope to have a shop that will hold a candle to these nice shops I see here today.

tom
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

I’ve never made the fact that Reher-Morrison performs machine work for Endyn a secret. In fact, as Darrin will attest, we take all of our visiting customers (and engine-building “students”) to the R-M facility to show them where and how the machining operations we can’t perform in-house take place. R-M provides the highest-quality machine work available in this part of the country, and I feel very fortunate that David allows his machinists to work on our “tiny” engine pieces. I’ve known the R-M guys seemingly forever, and back in the mid-eighties, Mike Garvie was welding Ford heads for me in between all the Chevy heads / manifolds he was doing for R-M. If you look at Mike’s current schedule, he’s either hanging his hat in Arlington, or Ft. Worth on a daily basis, as his talents are in great demand at each of our shops
I’ve been working toward bringing a full five-axis head-machining center into our shop for a couple years now, but I’ve been slow learning another “language” (CadCam), which is essential, since none of the CNC systems are simply plug and play, regardless of what their manufacturers say.
At this point in my life, I’m not willing to hire more employees or add stress to my life. Hell, I retired back in ’87, and everything we do at Endyn these days is simply “hobby” for me….
While at PRI last week, we spent a lot of time looking at all the killer CNC block machining and honing equipment. I’m presently under the impression that damned near anyone can operate these machines….but I just don’t think the IRS will put up with it…..remember Endyn is my hobby shop….
Shaun
Post by Shaun »

Larry, it is great that you take your visiting customers and students to the RM facility. However web exposure is very much larger and there are some who may be mislead like I was. I'm sure your webmaster can provide you with data on how many hits your site gets in one day, in addition to how many orders from people who have been referred to, or who have come across your site.

I do agree totally with Headman's post. Speaking or writing implicatively is very different from explicitly stating truth.