Reverse Engineering...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

headman
Pro
Pro

Post by headman »

richard@wcch wrote:...
The first dozen head ports I made were programed via RE but the last few have been modeled using a combination of both. CNC porting production based heads with cast finished port sizes on thin wall castings pose issues with core shift and I find that RE works better in those applications.

Richard
Thank you for bringing that aspect to the table.
From experience "remachining" parts, I knew that seldom is anything ever exactly where it should be.
Making the world a better place... one pair of heads at a time.

The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
Edward Bulwer-lytton
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I find that RE works better in those applications. Too often the ports have untouched areas along different sides.
Hmmm, I don't understand why, is it that the castings vary? Usually all the ports on one side of the head are on one core so I would think in most cases it is just a matter of centering up on the ports.

Anyhow, I don't understand how RE plays in to that issue either positive or negative, it seems to be a matter of the design and the positioning. What am I missing?
richard@wcch

Post by richard@wcch »

I've seen castings shift over .060" from one core to the next. The same casting numbers of the same type of heads. Core shift drifts directions in 3D space. I use RE to help me make the port cross sections stay as small as possible yet still allow me to clean the port surfaces. Otherwise entire port sections aren't touched by the tool. Increasing the port cross sections to cleanup all surfaces would result in a very large finished port or combustion chamber and this is a detriment to airflow or compression.

Richard
www.proheads.com
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Not sure what's "shifting", but .060" wall thickness differences from one to the other end of a head not a shocking thing to find.