L98 SBC Cast iron Cylinder Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RGL
L98 SBC Cast iron Cylinder Heads

Post by RGL »

Did a search , and didnt turn up anything. Any body got an idea what these things might flow stock, i believe they got a 1.94 I valve . Looking at replacing these with a small set of aluminum heads for a guy, and needed something to gauge by. i would guess off hand that they'd flow 190-200 cfm.

in addition , i am told this generartion of sbc ( 1991) heads have the inner two intake manifold bolts at 72 deg vs 90 , should it be any more difficult than slotting the bolt holes in the intake ( factory efi ) to put a 90 deg style head on it.

thanks for any help guys
kdrolt

Post by kdrolt »

Look here:

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread. ... did=336750

The casting number of those heads ends in 083, and yes they have 1.94/1.50 inch dia valves. The chamber is identical to the 350 iron heads that has casting suffix 193. The 083 were used in Fcars and the 193s were used in light- and medium-trucks and fullsize passenger cars. The 193s use a swirl ramp under the intake valve so they flow slightly less that the 083s, but the 193s flow better on the exh side. The 083 flows approx 185 cfm intake and 120 cfm exh. The 193 flows 175-180 cfm intake and 140-145 cfm exh. The 193 was called a fast burn head by GM back in the mid 1980s, because the swirl induced demanded less ignition timing due to the faster burn front convection.

The alum version of the 083s was used in the Vette only. When they first issued, they didn't flow any better on the intake side but did flow better on the exhaust. That head, 113 casting suffix, has been steadily improved since so now they flow very well out of the box for both int and exh.

Slotting (at an angle) is often done to allow aluminum intrake manifold swaps with heads of this vintage, so yes you can do it. HTH.
RGL
Post by RGL »

thanks alot, thats was more info than i bargained on. LOL
hwp

193 heads ??

Post by hwp »

Been following this over at thirdgen and find this quite interesting. I"m from the old school where we use to have to make alot of the things that racers can buy today. Probably going to port a set of these heads later on this year. My question is what is the typical chamber volume of this heads?
kdrolt

Post by kdrolt »

Typically they are 64 cc on the 5.7 v8 heads for either the TBI or TPI 5.7 v8 iron heads. The chamber shapes are the same on both.
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Re: 193 heads ??

Post by automotive breath »

hwp wrote:... My question is what is the typical chamber volume of this heads?
I run a set of casting number 14101083 on my truck, the stock chamber cc'ed to 64, flat milled 0.050" and then they cc'ed at 58.

I ported at set of late eightys vette heads, these come with a 58 cc chamber.