a dumb piston deck hight question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

crazycuda
Expert
Expert

a dumb piston deck hight question

Post by crazycuda »

I was talking today with ross pistons and asked the tech about what they figure on deck hight when they estimate their pistons hights. He replied they use the stock deck hight, I thought ok I already knew that but then I asked was it stock factory deck hight or was it blueprint hight. He replied it is what ever the factory set the deck hight to when the block was cast. I asked him again so they figure from blueprint spec then he said no the factory cast spec.
Now maby its the flu meds messing me up today but does this make any sence? I always thought it was figured from blueprint spec.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

They make the SBC stuff to a 9.008" Deck Height when it's supposed to be to 9.025" and everyone else makes most SBC setups to 9.000" unless it's a 3.48" stroke then 8.990"

Yeah I don't get that either.

For some reason they set the deck on a SBM 340 to 9.582" That varies down to 9.580" Also depends if you use a SBC rod or not.

Got me.

Bret
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

I just always get the pin height measurement and do the math. The sales/tech people at some of the "high performance" companies leave a bit to be desired.
shawn