Centrifugal Superchargers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

la360
Expert
Expert

Centrifugal Superchargers?

Post by la360 »

A friend has been looking at Vortech and ProCharger superchargers to put on his 360 in his street car. He is wanting a basic kit that can be run with a Carburetor. He has looked at a ProCharger kit from The Supercharger store. What's Good, What's Not???
AL....
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

I tune a lot of supercharged late model GM EFI cars, and would use a Procharger on my own vehicle. I have seen fewer failures with ATI stuff, and in my experience more often a little power. Vortech's kits sometimes have nicer fit & finish with brackets, etc, but personally I would use the Procharger.

Good luck, Ed
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

I'm the 3rd owner of a ATI set up. I've put over 70K on it, and it operates like new.
A few observations: I've seen more problems with those that have self-contained oiling. I'd personally use one that shares the engine's oil. The procharger, I have, just feeds off the galley through a tube nto a nozzle that sprays the gear-drive. A drain line into the pan. Very simple, and doesn't seem to have problems.

Procharger also has a fair amount of carb specific information. There is a company who does Mopar brackets for the AT head-unit. I', sure ATI can provide you with that link
bob cook

Post by bob cook »

I'm partial to the Vortech superchargers. I've pounded the older YS and YSi I have on my NMRA EFI Renegade car. They are very reliable units. The Vortech will also produce lower discharge temps vs ATI when comparing similar models. Although, the YSi may be a bit much for a street application. But, if you want the capability to make 30lbs of boost it's a nice unit.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Yea, this is pretty much how this topic has turned out on every board I've seen it discussed on. Vortec, or ATI. With these two always at the top of the class, it's pretty safe to say you'll be good with either. Just a matter of which has the better offerings for your application.
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

For sure your going to get personal perferences. I run the ProCharger F3R in a racing application. I also work closely with the SuperCharger Store in some development work. They are stand up guys (two brothers) and Terry is an engineer and good to work with. You can't go wrong with them.
Another I would suggest to contact would be Steve Morris Racing Engines. Probably one of the nations leaders in centrifical development.
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)
HiBoost
Post by HiBoost »

I've run both an ATI and a Vortech on my car before. I prefer the Vortech units personally. My buddy and I each had 4th gen f-bodies, both with stroker LT1s, similar heads, similar everything. I had the Vortech T-trim, he had the D1. I ran the normal 8-rib belt and had no problems making 15psi of boost time after time. He ran the 12-rib belt and could never get more than 10psi of boost before the belt would start slipping (then the boost would drop to 7-8 psi). I know between those two particular head units, the ATI had a larger (numerically) internal step-up ratio, which may have caused the belt traction issues even with the extra ribs. Heck, the Vortech setup just used a normal Ford spring tensioner and still didn't slip, the ATI had a manually adjustable tensioner and no matter how tight you'd make it, it wouldn't stop slipping (even with VHT on the belt). My buddy isn't the only one that's had these problems either. I talked to ATI on the phone, talked to them face to face at PRI, etc. and they never had any good ideas on how to fix it. Oh well, now he runs a turbo which is better than either! :)
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

No real reason to run a serpentine belt. A cog belt is way more positive and it's not troublesome unless you overtighten the tensioner.

Most of the bonnets available for blow-thru carbs are complete POS's. They don't have enough short turn radius in them and tend to cause wild air currents & uneven pressures above the air bleeds.

Running one of the typical bonnets on a blown carb engine with wide band O2 sensors in all cylinders will scare the crap out of you.

A much better arrangement is something like the Vortech carb enclosure, but it still needs a deflector in the inlet to prohibit high pressure air from blasting into only one section of the flame arrestor.

A better solution is to fabricate your own and base it off the design of an air cleaner housing assembly like what was used in the past on big block Chevrolet trucks.

Include the deflector baffle in the housing and make an air inlet tube that tapers WIDE into the base to slow down air speed. Also, a shield on the side of the air cleaner that faces the inlet hole will help too.

Just got through working on TONS of testing with these setups. Hopefully new products will become available soon that are based on the results of these tests because the design works extremely well.

Last thing: Blow-tru and intakes with runner extensions in the plenum (i.e.-Super Victor) don't mix well. Outboard cylinders will be very rich and inners will be very lean. Dual plane intakes are bad in cases where the runner has to make sharp turns (typically one port per bank on a Chevy dual plane).
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

web help

Post by blownzoom440 »

http://superchargerhelp.com/
try here for some q's.there is some info there allready.
"69"satellite,3900lbs,8-71,edel victor heads,I/C,446cu.in W/gas 1250 carbs
ROGUE GTS
Post by ROGUE GTS »

I'll throw a real wrench in the mix here, I personally like PC for big race stuff. BUT on street cars it's REAL hard to beat the PAXTON N2k. Or just go big and slap a GT76 on it :shock:

Word of experience, buy something bigger than you think you need, cause you will want it down the road and the efficiency is nice.

As was stated get a nice bonet, 90% of them suck and seriously restrict airflow.