Ford Saginaw OEM Vaccum pump

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

A friend of mine on another site is a tech at a Ford dealership.
I asked him about a belt driven vacuum pump.

His reply:
"the '94-'98 (or '99) 7.3 diesel has a belt driven vac pump"
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

More info:

"Okey, there are two different pumps.
#1 is from a '96-'99 7.3 diesel (ford part # F6TZ-2A451-A)
#2 is from a '95 and earlier 7.3 (part # F4TZ-2A451-A)

The first one retailes for $208.00 and the second one for $280.00.
You also might try a local parts pusher like napa or something."
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

those are diesel vaccum pumps probably? Their purpose is to suck fuel from the tank and deliver it to the metering pump I think?
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

That would be a fuel pump,wouldn''t it ?
These are vacuum pumps for the power brake boosters.
Justin Jones wrote:Their purpose is to suck fuel from the tank and deliver it to the metering pump I think?
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

Unkl Ian wrote:That would be a fuel pump,wouldn''t it ?
These are vacuum pumps for the power brake boosters.
Justin Jones wrote:Their purpose is to suck fuel from the tank and deliver it to the metering pump I think?
I guess they are, I just remember searching for vaccum pumps on google and ebay a while ago and coming up with all this vaccum pump stuff for Volkswagen TDIs and Cummins 5.9s...
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Ford Van smog pump

Post by Ron Miller »

Justin,
Its been a few years for me on this, But you are going in the right direction. What you are looking for is a Ford Van smog pump. I do not remember the exact year. A guy that visits this site, RW Tech can tell you more about the year it was installed on and how much vacuum it pulled. We were talking about this a few years ago and he was telling for the money verse the other pumps (kits) out their. This was the best deal going. He bought a re-man smog pump at a local auto parts chain for around $ 35.00 to $40.00. He made his own brackets and tried different pulleys to get a controlled/correct vacuum. Look him up hear as a member and send him a e-mail or P.M. Thats all I can remember :oops:
Ron Miller
LilRacr

Post by LilRacr »

Justin,
Sorry for the delay there.
The pump I was looking at was a Ford Van late 70's early 80's econoline, motor was a 300 I-6, I am not sure it would work but was going to give it a try. I am on a budget also and something that pulls more vacuum than my E-Vac system is good for me.

I am not sure you will get 14psi from this pump, my buddy that has one get a max of 10psi on his small block at about 6500rpm.

If you find out anything more keep me informed.
-Bobby-
ChadS
Post by ChadS »

I am not sure you will get 14psi from this pump, my buddy that has one get a max of 10psi on his small block at about 6500rpm.
With a well sealed engine ours pulled 23" at 9200 rpm and at idle (1250 rpm) pulled over 10". These pumps can pull mega vacuum if you need to however it depends more on sealing your stuff properly rather then pulleying them to spin too the moon, and that will kill them them.

There's one on my daily driver and I pull 10-12" at 5500. I have put 4000+ miles on it with no problems to speak of to date.

I have pictures if anyone would like me to e-mail them.

Chad
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

Ron, thanks for the info. I sent RW TECH a private message earlier tonight.

Chad S what is your vacuum pump off of exactly?

Thanks for the good replies guys.
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

RW TECH got back to me earlier today. The pump is off a 1993 or so E series van with a 460. he said the max that you can spin it is about 6 grand but he didn't tell me anything about how much vacuum it can pull. The impeller inside the case are made of bakelite (yeah that wonderful stuff) so it doesn't like to ingest any kind of oil vapour as it will saturate the impellers. You have to open up the pump all the time and clean it out. I called a local auto parts store, a reman pump will cost me about $125 with an $18 core charge. There are probably better deals out there.

I'm going to try it out hopefully, maybe screw around with the impellers and plumbing... see if I can do something about stopping that little oil problem.
MAT88GT

Post by MAT88GT »

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html

If you're pulling pumps from a junkyard, stay away from those that were bypassed by the previous owner...Ford air pumps are notorious for locking up when not in use
let r eat

Post by let r eat »

Anyone know what the safe shaft speed is for the pump on the E series 460 vac pump? Could a man change the pulley and slow it down for higher revs? Would it do any good if a man done that? Just curious
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

let r eat wrote:Anyone know what the safe shaft speed is for the pump on the E series 460 vac pump? Could a man change the pulley and slow it down for higher revs? Would it do any good if a man done that? Just curious
Justin Jones wrote:RW TECH got back to me earlier today. The pump is off a 1993 or so E series van with a 460. he said the max that you can spin it is about 6 grand