Milling Olds Main Caps

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Supernova

Milling Olds Main Caps

Post by Supernova »

Our 455 Olds will require Milling .500 off the bottom of the main caps where the girdle mounts on #'s 2,3,and 4 caps, as we have not been able to find an oil pan that will fit our chassis and clear the girdle. This engine has been line bored. Will milling the bottom of the caps require another line bore? Been advised both ways. Oldstroker this should be right up your alley.
David Clapp
[img]http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/3320/27sv1.jpg[/img]
jdperform
Pro
Pro
Post by jdperform »

As always you got to measure it to be sure.
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Re: Milling Olds Main Caps

Post by OldSStroker »

Supernova wrote:Our 455 Olds will require Milling .500 off the bottom of the main caps where the girdle mounts on #'s 2,3,and 4 caps, as we have not been able to find an oil pan that will fit our chassis and clear the girdle. This engine has been line bored. Will milling the bottom of the caps require another line bore? Been advised both ways. Oldstroker this should be right up your alley.
You have mail.
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
swolds

Re: Milling Olds Main Caps

Post by swolds »

Supernova wrote:Our 455 Olds will require Milling .500 off the bottom of the main caps where the girdle mounts on #'s 2,3,and 4 caps, as we have not been able to find an oil pan that will fit our chassis and clear the girdle. This engine has been line bored. Will milling the bottom of the caps require another line bore? Been advised both ways. Oldstroker this should be right up your alley.
Is this a Mondello girdle?
If so what kind of power are you looking to make.............I had one never installed it...we made our own..girdle.....
I would measure the bores after the girdle is ...in place and bolted on ...make sure you have the correct preload ....before bolting down.
Measure to make sure your ok......
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

It was supplied by Dick Miller, but manufactured by someone else. The car belongs to my Nephew. The car goes 6.50's 1/8th mile @ 3000lbs. He was using it with an aluminum Hamburger Pan, but couldn't get the pan to stop leaking after many many tries. He has tried the metal oil pan that Miller sells for this application, but it will not fit the chassis and still has interference with the studs. The engine uses stock caps that have been align honed, with ARP studs. I believe that he has contacted the original manufacturer of the girdle but I don't know what information that they gave him. Here is a shot of the girdle from Mr. Millers site.
David Clapp
swolds

Post by swolds »

I know who the guy is that makes this girdle.......if you can,t get a pan to fit...get the the torch out with a rosebud tip and heat up your pan ad massage to fit....how much interference is there...?
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

I'm not sure of the amount of interference. I will ask my Nephew. Thanks for the responses. :)
David Clapp
Post by 442 »

Looks like this is made by J&S Machine. http://www.jsmachineoldsmobile.com/

CALL JIM @ J&S 309-535-3536 TILL 2:30 CENTRAL
After 2 central Cell phone #309-361-0907

Maybe he can lend some sound advice.

Hope this helps!