General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

highVE
Expert
Expert

Sonic Tes Lube

Post by highVE »

Hello fellow builders,

A few months back the shop purchased a Sonic Tester, it was supplied w/ a 10oz. bottle of lube, well after testing a V-8 block i have only about a 1/3 left. Now in goodson the sell the bottles, but i was wondering if anyone knows where it can be purchased in large quantities. such as a 100 or so oz. container. would the ultra-sound lube used in hospitals work?
Thanks for your help.

Mike
www.mikesportingservice.com
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Re: Sonic Tes Lube

Post by Wolfplace »

highVE wrote:Hello fellow builders,

A few months back the shop purchased a Sonic Tester, it was supplied w/ a 10oz. bottle of lube, well after testing a V-8 block i have only about a 1/3 left. Now in goodson the sell the bottles, but i was wondering if anyone knows where it can be purchased in large quantities. such as a 100 or so oz. container. would the ultra-sound lube used in hospitals work?
Thanks for your help.

Mike
www.mikesportingservice.com
=
Yep.
So will oil, Vaseline, antifreeze, water,,,, anything that gets you a good "couple" will work.
I see no difference between the stuff that comes with the gauge & some oil.
Hell, if you are only checking one spot you could spit on the transducer,,, :lol:

Try this, put some spit on the transducer & put it on your probe zero deal then try it with the "super-goo"
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

wolfplace
Thanks for your reply. i will put that to the test the week at the shop. hell if vasiline works that would be great!! thanks again

Mike Theroux
GJ
Pro
Pro
Post by GJ »

I would like to know this too . My ultra sonic lube gets empty realy fast . My friend who works at the hospital doing bone pictures etc... told me that the mhz on the PR8 sonic tester that I have is close to what they use at the hospital . So I might have to see if he can get me some to try it out . If it works it would be alot cheaper then buying it in small tubes .
Later
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Wolf is dead on. Although Vasoline is a bit messy, it works as good as the "special bla-bla" stuff that was about 20 times the price. KY works great and is water based, so clean up only requires a wipe, not brake cleaner.

But, there are risks involved with the KY. Indirect, but, still risks, when combined with other shop-chemicals you may be using.

This actually happened to me...

Late in the day, on a "refreshment run", I decided to get some KY to replace the vasoline I was using. At the check-out the teenage girl who swiped my purchases seemed to be giving me a look that said "Die you evil filthy sadistic reptile". I didn’t really think much of it. Being divorced, I’m comfortable with that look. So, on the way home, I noticed my thumbnail….Earlier I had scribed some bores onto some heads. There was some Dykem still on my thumb-nail. The problem was, I was using red, which looks pretty much exactly like fingernail polish. Combined with a purchase of KY (the big economy-size) it’s conceivable the young lass may have reached an inaccurate conclusion.

So you can use red Dykem, or KY, but, I strongly recommend against using them both.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

We use oil with our sonic tester as it seems to work fine.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
RRBD

Post by RRBD »

Thats okay Ron, you dont have to explain it to us, really, we understand and support you, whatever way you like to swing. Admitting is the first step toward living the life you want.............

(Sorry Ron, just havin a little fun at your expense)

Dr. Phil
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

highVE wrote:wolfplace
hell if vasiline works that would be great!! thanks again

Mike Theroux
=
You are still referring to sonic testing right :lol:

I actually just use oil too. (for sonic testing) thought I better put that in there before this thread takes a turn,,,, :P

Another point about the super-goo that comes with sonic testers,, don't leave it on a finished cylinder & start another project,,
If you do when you come back you may get to hone it again,,
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

RRBD wrote:Thats okay Ron, you dont have to explain it to us, really, we understand and support you, whatever way you like to swing. Admitting is the first step toward living the life you want.............

(Sorry Ron, just havin a little fun at your expense)

Dr. Phil
Not a problem. I'll just move to the bay area, start doing only hybrid heads, and instead of swirl, I'll use "swish" meters. Instead of flow sheets I'll provide allure to ambience factors.
Dan Amaral
Post by Dan Amaral »

If you want the genuine stuff, try these people:
Sonotech Inc.
800-458-4254

They're in Washington state. I bought what is probably a lifetime supply from them awhile ago, but I remember it being pretty inexpensive. I don't think we use quite as much as you on each block. We refill our original bottle from the jug of Ultragel II.
Dan Amaral
Amaral's Engine Parts & Machine
Fremont, CA