Formula One engine reving video

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JBrady
Pro
Pro
Formula One engine reving video

Post by JBrady »

Found this video that shows the engine and the headers through warmup and into quick blast revs. Pretty darn impressive. During warmup the headers heat up and there is a blue glow from the collector outlets.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.asp ... engine&p=0
JBrady
Pro
Pro
Post by JBrady »

I am looking for a specific video and came accross another F1 video. This is a Renault on a dyno seemingly doing a roadcourse simulation run. Close up of the injectors misting into the intake runners is a very interesting dynamic.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.asp ... engine&p=6
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

very neat videos. I wonder what kind of dyno they are using?
shawn
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

WOW!! after wathing that it makes everything i've build look like garbage. :cry: very very impressive!. I wonder what the bsfc is. that was alot of gas from those injecters.

Mike
www.mikesportingservice.com
beth
Expert
Expert

Post by beth »

The first video was cool, but I dont understand what purpose bliping the throttle served. Ring seal?

The dyno video was awesome.

beth
JBrady
Pro
Pro
Post by JBrady »

Agreed. Hope you watched in full screen.

The fuel standoff at the runner inlets is very interesting. It is hard to believe that there would be time for the flow to revert at all in the 17000rpm range. The fuel cloud clearly shows the harmonic of the intake event. Cool stuff.
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

The transmission is attached, the transmissions are fully ECU controlled, in order to downshift you have to unlock the dog clutches on the side of the gears by removing the torque briefly, the ECU will throttle up so the gear speeds match on the down shift. On upshifts they usually just do a very quick ign retard/ign cut to unload the dog clutch, and then operate the solenoid for that gear, then gradually bring back ign timing, all in less than .1 seconds.

If you notice, they have a graphic of the actual track they're simulating on the dyno console.

Those injectors are operating at very high pressures, somewhere in the 250 PSI range. Not much time to get things done at 18000 RPM.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Believe it or not...your fuel pressure is kinda low for some of the teams. The newer emulsive injectors are good to 80 bar - 1200psi.
Methanol in volume is very tough to evaporate compared to gas (opposite of common sense) due to the cooling of the intake charge. Vaporation potential is determined by pressure differential AND temperature differential across the orfice(injector)
Dennis
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Err... The methanol reference is a non-sequitur, since F1 uses pump gasoline..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Shaun
Post by Shaun »

airflowdevelop wrote: Methanol in volume is very tough to evaporate compared to gas (opposite of common sense) due to the cooling of the intake charge. Vaporation potential is determined by pressure differential AND temperature differential across the orfice(injector)
Dennis
But they run gasoline, not methanol. The high pressures are to reduce droplet size and improve AF homogeneity.

=====

I believe the dynos most in use in F1 are by AVL.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Sorry guys..went off on a tangent and got you cornfused.

The F-1 guys run on a limited lead gasoline..yes...you are correct. But read the post again.

The injector design used by most teams is the new(er) emulsive design (actually designed for methanol).

My point is, tapered pintle or constant flow style injectors have no comparison to the pressure capability of the newer injectors.

and to even wet your knoodle somemore... even the newest injectors today at elevated pressures have a hard time even with etho-gasoline and especially methanol. Although they are fantastic compared to the older bosch / hilborn stuff.

Dennis