What's a good starter kit for machining valve seats,guides?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Donnie1126
What's a good starter kit for machining valve seats,guides?

Post by Donnie1126 »

I'm really interested in doing my own heads for the experience and also for experiment.What I need is a nice kit to practice with on some junk heads I have, and also to use on my good heads later.Something that is reasonably priced but not junk.I want to do some multi-angled valve jobs and guide replacement.I also need some real good reading material that talks about this stuff in good detail.I'm not interested in speed of operation.Are there any kits that can be done by hand and still produce real good results. I hate to sound cheap but it's not something i'm going to be doing for a living. At least not any time soon.For me it would be a challenge and something I would really like to do.Thanks for any info. :)
timdog
Expert
Expert

Post by timdog »

Depends on the size you require but the main japanese bike manufacturers list tools in their workshop catalogues that are very similar to the neway stuff but using diamond instead of carbide. The neway stuff is ok to start off with and learn on. You can't change angles to your own spec like with a stone setup though.
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

Out of own good experience i can also recommend the neway stuff you might need quite some cutters though in order to play with angles (even though they have second angles on the backside 30° /46°), some might be not even available.
If you hace some money left for buying tools, try to get your hands on a used singel cutter machine like a mira, or a hunger, those are very good and you can cut all kinds of seats and you can replace seats and machine springbases too. but they are somewhat pricey even used.
There is always advancement to be made.