Looking for a new supplier

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Looking for a new supplier

Post by crazycuda »

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on a good parts supplier. I haven't found anyone yet who can beat jegs or summit in the price dept for cylinder heads. Maby im looking in the wrong places, But when my customer and get a set of bbc edel heads from jegs for $1400.00 and my cost is $1400.00 kinda cuts me out of the loop and I am loosing a sale.

Prime example, I have a customer who has an old set of 074 bbc alum heads one head is good the other is (trust me) non fixable. (kicking my self for selling the one good head I had some time back to dam cheap)
Been searching e-bay but they are running 500-600 when you find 1 head ,and god only knows what you'll get. So we switched to looking for a set of edel or something comparable. But everything I have found he has also so there is little chance of me making a $
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

who are you buying from currently? Edelbrock is pretty tuff to buy right period...unless you are doing massive volume.

Dennis
Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

The retail price is set by the manufacturer. The wholesale price is given to prefered customers. The difference is price is as much as 30%.

To get a wholesale price - first you have to buy in bulk.

One company to check is Dave's Speedshop in Winston Salem NC. I only have his old number 336 399 2307

They deal with BUCK Racing Engines and have good prices on anything you need.
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

Join the crowd. Thats the common gripe among most shops. I don;t know why your buying those heads anyhow. You could look into getting a WD set up with one of the head manufacturers, brodix is a good one, as they have heads that cover just about ANY make, and application. Problem is, they want $15,000 up front. You could get a wd, and go in on it with another shop or 2, we did that here with oliver, but, its hard to sell oliver rods these days, everyone wants Eagles.

Thats the problem in general. To get the good prices, from any of the parts manufacturers, you have to buy the wd. Even the big warehouses, that sell only to engine shops, they buy at a higher price as summit and jegs, then sell them to you, at what Jegs and Summit sell for, or, a few bucks less. One of the local warehouses just bought in on the Edelbrock program, and, it seems there is $80-$100 tops, on most of their heads, which, is better than nothing, but, the cut throat big guys, Know that, and play the game. There is maybe $10 on an intake. Another problem, local sales, you have to charge sales tax, so, once they realize that, kiss that sale good buy too. Its tough.

To give you an example, earlier last year, I needed some good, American rods, for some high end marine motors, without spending a million bucks. I got Crower Sportsman rods, probably the best deal out there for a quality, American rod, that will handle a lot of power. They would sell to me for jobber price, as a legitamite shop, cool I figure, until I look in Comp Products, and they are selling them for halfway between wd, and jobber, which, is like $50 LESS than I can even buy them for, being a real, legitimate shop. Called and talked to them, and, they said, if i bought 5 sets of rods, they would give me wd price, as a one time "special" purchase. They also gave me the oppurtunity to buy at wd for the rest of the year, but, I had to spend $15,000 to jeep the deal after that. Well, needless to say, I didn;t meet the quota. I could have sold a bunch of the stuff on ebay, for cheap, to keep the price break, but, thats one of the reasons NO ONE excepts jegs and summit can make money on parts, so, I didn;t do that.

Another problem, is the scab wanna-B engine shops, that have done just what I described, buy the wd, and damn near give it away, then, make up for it on volume, which, just further ruins the price structure. There are a few of em, that have big full page adds in National Dragster, i won;t name names, but, they both are selling china junk by the truck load, for cheap. One sells "their" own line of non-generic cranks and rods, that, are china junk, and generic, lol. The other place, sounds a lot like Rhino-blow, is selling primarily Eagle stuff, and now, both places offer assembled short blocks, and complete engines, priced a lot cheaper than most shops can even buy the parts for. Its a battle.

I know there are a few guys on here that are dealers for brodix, maybe one of them will sell you a set of RR oval port heads, a WAAAAAAAAAY better head than the Edlebrock Performer Rpm head, and give a little bit of a deal.
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

airflowdevelop wrote:who are you buying from currently? Edelbrock is pretty tuff to buy right period...unless you are doing massive volume.

Dennis
Dennis,
I've been buying from Liberty or EPW. I also deal with Central High Performance. There have been times Ive had to stoop to ordering from jeg or summ because my cost was higher then their retail.
I talked with brodix and world and they want way to much for a buy in. Especially when I don't have any extra capital I can afford right now. Kinda the dbl edge sword, I need this equipment & tooling to make $ but I also need a wd acct to make $
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
CIGARETTEDFL

Post by CIGARETTEDFL »

Just a suggestion, but the best price and selection I have found is Motorstate Distributing (Lane Automotive) check them out a motorstate.com[/url]
k-star
Guru
Guru

parts

Post by k-star »

I buy from Liberty, Pittsburgh crank and EPW... It seams like everyone is in the same boat with the parts deal. On rods, rings, bearings, cranks, etc i can make a little money... but carbs,intakes,msd there just isn't anything there... I did notice in my last EPW flyer that they now sell MSD. I bought about $600 from them last week but they had none of it in stock and it needed dropped from MSD....I think comp cams is really bad for this. Most of there numbers cost me more from the wharehouse then from summit.....

I am really suprised that a bunch of small shops never went together and did a buy in with the major suppliers,, kind of like a sams club for performance engine builders.....

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Team Owner wrote:The retail price is set by the manufacturer. The wholesale price is given to prefered customers. The difference is price is as much as 30%.

To get a wholesale price - first you have to buy in bulk.
Have you looked at what Jegmmit are selling stuff for lately? If you buy in with their warehouses you can get stuff for maybe 5%, sometimes a little more (from summit’s warehouse, jeg’s is worthless, it’s actually the same as buying straight from the catalog exept on jegster parts).

On some stuff you can do slightly better, like if you become a trick flow dealer (even though their dealer line is the same as summit’s wearhouse line with the same people answering it) you can undercut summit’s wearhouse by a few $$$.
PWMAX wrote:Thats the problem in general. To get the good prices, from any of the parts manufacturers, you have to buy the wd. Even the big warehouses, that sell only to engine shops, they buy at a higher price as summit and jegs, then sell them to you, at what Jegs and Summit sell for, or, a few bucks less. One of the local warehouses just bought in on the Edelbrock program, and, it seems there is $80-$100 tops, on most of their heads, which, is better than nothing, but, the cut throat big guys, Know that, and play the game. There is maybe $10 on an intake. Another problem, local sales, you have to charge sales tax, so, once they realize that, kiss that sale good buy too. Its tough.
yea, that’s typical… I really believe that summit actually takes profits on parts that wouldn’t keep a normal shop alive, with the profit margin you won’t cover paying someone to stand there an ring up the sale, credit card processing, paying for lights/heat…

The trick is if you can get in with a local distributor and then can get stuff next day while still not paying shipping… often you can get them to price match say summit’s warehouse (if they know that you have an account) and that way the tax vs Jegmmit’s “handling” fee you can come within a few $ and be a real person that they can talk to and bitch at if they have a problem. Works sometimes.

Another thing that may make this worse on you is that if you get in with someone like motorstate you’ll find that they are very big on supporting minimum pricing, and with a lot of lines there is a “minimum advertised price” that you can sell the item for and maintain your contract. In some cases it’s fine, it lets everyone make the same profit on the items, in some cases the people tied in with alternate suppliers can ignore that and under price you by quite a bit.
[i][color=navy][size=92] Mark[/size]
[size=75]aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...[/color][/size][/i]