mutli sleeving a v8 block?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

doctorpipe

Post by doctorpipe »

I have used the Fusion Weld system with good results. It does make one nervous though. One word of caution. It says in the instructions that you must keep the sleeve moving until it is in all of the way. They aren't kidding!! Absolutely don't stop, not even for a second. I was putting one in a single cylinder Kohler one time and I changed direction (twist) and it grabbed. They say don't mess with it for an hour. I ran to the press and was sure I was going to break the block, over 25 tons on it. so I gave up. It was a engine with a longer rod for pulling, so the fact that the sleeve was .100" short of stock location was not a problem. Inspite of the high temperatures it is still in place. What it does 20 years from now, I don't know.
Doc
Engineguy

Post by Engineguy »

I wonder if anyone is using the Sulzer Metco iron plasma spray system (as used in various VW gas and diesel engines, '99 F1 Cosworth, and Ford's new 3.5 V6) in a bore repair (rather than production) manner.

60 seconds and $2-$3 per bore in production setting... low heat to substrate surface... they machine the bore, "activate" (chemical treatment?), spray (.006" thick typical IIRC), then diamond hone.
[size=150][url]http://www.SportsCarDesigner.com[/url] [color=deeppink].... You [u]want[/u] to design your own car... so go ahead.[/color][b] Sports Car Designer [/b][color=deeppink] is the answer.[/color][/size]
What else can you do with that gift card you got?
Donny Key

Post by Donny Key »

About ten years ago I had to sleeved all 12 cylinders in a v12 Packard block. Man was that ever a job!
This engine is a flat head with the deck at an angle with the cylinders and the combustion chamber is in the block. This job was a restoration project on a very expensive car that was suppose to go in a museum some where. So it was a have to job.
I not only had to deal with sleeving all 12 cylinders but I also had to cut the combustion chamber profile.
Talk about a job! At the time I was using a Van-Norman 944 boring bar and an old Van-Norman broach, You know, the kind that you have to mount the block upside down on. The customer provided a jig that fit down in the adjacent cylinder to mount the boring bar on. The darn block was about 5 feet long. It seemed like it was 10 feet at the time.
When I look back on all of that work I really appreciate the equipment that we have today. After you get the block set up on the boring mill then, as my son says “ The MONKEY Pushes The Button” I know that it’s a lot more complicated than that but when I think back a few years I wonder how we got by without the equipment we now have . This thinking really helps when it comes time to make payments on the equipment.
By the way I’m a lot older and balder now so I doubt I would ever attempt a project like that again. I don’t have enough hair left to pull out in order to get the job done. But My Son Does. :twisted:
I know that I’m getting off of the original question with this story but my point it…. Go for it.

Donny
putztastics
Expert
Expert

Post by putztastics »

We sleeved all cylinders on a Mopar 3.9L V-6, completely bored out the original cylinders, went from the stock 3.92 bore to 4.25 bore. (Got 5L - 302 ci out of this engine 241ci is stock). Used cut off W-2 heads. There were a lot of issues but the thing did run and make 440chp - that was not the peak, I think there was at least another 20 or so in it. It did not blow up, the testing got terminated after a couple dyno pulls by a problem. I know now how to make it work but what kind of a market is there for a 5.0L Dodge V-6??
Jesse Lackman
http://www.revsearch.com