4/7 swap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shrimp
4/7 swap

Post by shrimp »

I know this is an old topic, but I would some more info. First off can you just swap the 4 and 7 plug wires on the dist. cap and go racing or is there more to it than that. Can you swap the firing order on any cam or is there certain cams that you need to use.
I am curious just trying to build a little more HP in my circle track motor. Its just a stock 350 with 2 barrel cast iron intake and a holley 4412 carb. The cam is hydraulic and 502/516 lift.
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

No you can't just change the wires, the camshaft must be ground to run with the new firing order.
Doug Schriefer
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

You must have the 4/7 swap cam and then you can change the firing order on the distributor to 18736542.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Shrimp,

I have used some swap cams in my circle track stuff. most of which were in Late Models, or Pro-Stocks. Did they make more power on dyno??? Some yes and some no. depends on alot. To be honest, you could probably find a few more Hp elsewhere, like in the piston ring package, or the valve-job. A really good VDL carb will go A LONG WAY, but may be out of your budget. If it were me, i wouldn't waste the effort for an application like yours.
Good Luck racing!

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!