Question about Pistons

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DJ5

Question about Pistons

Post by DJ5 »

can anyone tell about these pistons. Are they a good piston to use in a streetstockmotor will they hold up it the heat of a dirt motor.
keith black FHR (forged head relief) forged series piston
manley performance (sportsmaster forged pistons)
DJ5

RE

Post by DJ5 »

:D
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

LOL ... some people can destroy a steel ball with a rubber mallet so that's really a loaded question but, at the expense of oversimplification ... either one should be OK for that application.
DJ5

RE

Post by DJ5 »

I was told i need to buy a set of $550 of mahle piston. that i would pull the top off KB, Probe, and manley pistons. i am just getting started and don't have alot of money to spend on just pistons. tring to find the best piston out there for $250 to $300.

thanks for all the help
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

If you use the KB's pay particular attention to ring gap and piston clearances. You can probably do a search and find some valuable information.
David Clapp
[img]http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/3320/27sv1.jpg[/img]
Old School
Pro
Pro
Post by Old School »

Forged Speed Pro for that money.
1racerdude

Re: RE

Post by 1racerdude »

DJ5 wrote:I was told i need to buy a set of $550 of mahle piston. that i would pull the top off KB, Probe, and manley pistons. i am just getting started and don't have alot of money to spend on just pistons. tring to find the best piston out there for $250 to $300.

thanks for all the help
I have used Probe pistons for 12-15 years and never had a problem with them.
AFAIK they don't make hyper-u-crap-tic pistons. Don't really know that,as I don't use them, and haven't asked them about any.
LR
mstngjoe

Re: RE

Post by mstngjoe »

DJ5 wrote:I was told i need to buy a set of $550 of mahle piston. that i would pull the top off KB, Probe, and manley pistons.......
It sounds as if the person who told you this makes more money selling the Mahle piston than the others. Or maybe he doesn't sell anything but Mahle.

In the application you describe above, what would cause you to "pull the top off" a piston?
Mark Workman
Pro
Pro

Post by Mark Workman »

If you have a typical Street Stock/Sportsman budget, I don't think you need that hardcore of a piston, although they will work fine. I have found the hypereutectic piston will typically last 1 season(12:1, 2bbl, 6500-7000rpm). At teardown, it was usually evident the wrist pin was trying to push it's way out. If the racer passed on the freshen-up, and tried to get a second season from the pistons, they were on the WillPop plan. A forged piston will last 2 seasons or more, if treated right.

So the forged are more expensive up front, but as cheap or cheaper in the long run. With the added benefits a forging brings to the table, it's a no-brainer if you can possibly afford it. If you can't, run 'em, throw 'em away...every year.

There are cheaper alternatives in a forged piston. Probe, JE, Wiseco, etc...they all make a good budget forging. I've had availability issues with Speed-Pro and Manley in the recent past, but I am a very small potato in the eyes of a distibutor.
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

For the $$$ i do like what KB offers. as stated a few posts back, be very carefull of your top ring gap. for a typical 4.030" bore, you'll find in need around .026"-.028" gap. a tight gap could blow the tops off, and that is probably what happend to your source of that info!
The problem i have with any Speed pro piston is they have very poor pin oiling. KB has forced pin oiling which goes along way.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

I thought I missed something so, I went back and read the original post again. And, he WAS talking about the FORGED KB pistons NOT the Hyperutektics.
I haven't heard any bad things about the KB forged stuff at all.; it is 2618 material.