Brodix -12 question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

partymole

Brodix -12 question

Post by partymole »

I have a line on a set of Brodix -12 heads. Complete with jesel,intake and valves w/springs. Price is good. They are not ported other than a gasket match. Is there anything that I should look for like part numbers,valve spacing, or anything that might lead to a problem down the road. The heads have very low time on them, owner needs to sell for money to race. If I buy them, they will be professionally ported before I use them. I am looking to make between 750-785 hp from a 406-410 cid sbc. Drag race only. Engine will be in a 1770lbs dragster. looking to run 7.7-7.8's in quarter with a SBC on alcohol(dominator carb). Any advice will help. Just trying not to buy something that will not fill the need. Thanks Bob
The older I get,the faster I think that I was?
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Bob,
As far as part #s go, you need to find out which castings they are. do to the fact Brodix has 3 differant valve spacings. The numbers are as follows
-#WP12SPRI= 40/60 SPACING W/247CC PORT
-#WP12SPRIMC= 58/107 SPACING W/262CC PORT
-#WP12SPB= 40/60 SPACING W/287CC PORT
-#12SPWBMCWP= 70/125 SPACING W/305CC PORT

Hope this helps you out. Ofcours make sure your pistons will work with valve lay-out and spacing! Good Luck

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
partymole

Post by partymole »

Mike,

Of those part numbers,is there any one that I should look for? or stay away from? Thanks Bob J
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Bob,

How many rpms you plan on turning?? Hom much camshaft?? comp.ratio?? for 750Hp you won't need all to much and these heads (ported properly) outa get you there with cam in the high 270's @050" depending on where your strong number are in the ports when finised, you should be able to keep it under .770"lift. (not knowing what those rockers have for a ratio) Do you know the specs on the valve springs they are gonna come with? I would go with the 247cc deal. The car is light and the engine should make that power your looking for all day long!

Mike Theroux
Mike Theroux

partymole

Post by partymole »

Mike,

I was out of town for a few days,so here is the answers. I would like to turn no more than 8000 RPM. Right now I turn my 23degree 408 7500 RPM. If I could get max HP between 7500-8000 revs I would be happy. I will find out this weekend (weather permitting) about the springs. It has 1.5 rockers,might sell them and go for 1.6 or bigger. I would go with atleast 14 to 1 compression. Cam will be custom ground. These heads will go on a fresh engine. Do not want to part out the 23degree one. Keep it for spare. Thanks Bob
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Bob,

Are you using a stock block or aftermarket?? (sorry forgot to ask you lasttime.) if so you may want to go with a bigger cam core. At least to a BBchevy Jnl. dia. if not getting .750" lift (roughly) will require, as you should know, a smaller base circle which at 8,000rpms and probably 750# of spring (roughly) that could spell trouble! compression sounds good. shoot for as close to 15:1 as you can (say 14.6-14.8) mill heads if needed to acheive. (unless your gonna grind into the seat). Also if you don't already have pistons, JE makes them for the -12 heads. Alot of bore/pin height combos. Keep me posted. You can send a PM if you would like

Mike Theroux
Mike Theroux

partymole

Post by partymole »

I will be going with a Dart block. My 23° engine has a Motown,but I like the looks of the Dart. The guys who do my engine work only use JE pistons so that is what will be in the engine. This whole project depends on if I can get the -12 setup this weekend at the fleamarket. A fellow racer that I know has it now,and he wants to sell to money to race this year. It will be next years engine. As far as the cam goes,they always use custom ground Cam Motion cams. They will tell me about they I pickup the engine. But I just hope the deal goes down this weekend. Bob J