470 CFM LITTLE CHIEFS!!!!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

526FIREHAWK
470 CFM LITTLE CHIEFS!!!!

Post by 526FIREHAWK »

Just saw an ad for MBE cylinder heads and they had an ad for there new Dart Little Chief SB Chevy heads and the only info given about them is they flow 470 CFM. I know thats alot of CFM and that those heads can most likely flow that much. But after reading alot on this board that CFM isnt everthing, what would the difference be between these 470 cfm heads and a set of 420 cfm heads straight from Dart? If it was a good port and all, how much difference between the two?
ROGUE GTS
Post by ROGUE GTS »

Says they have a 345cc intake port, thats freaking HUGE for a SB head.

Any more info on them?
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

Advertised and actual may vary tremendously!!!!!!
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Flyin Ryan that posts on here has been working on a set of these. Maybe he'll chime in.
David Clapp
[img]http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/3320/27sv1.jpg[/img]
RZ@D

Post by RZ@D »

MBE is very reputable, and put alot of work into their port in the Dart Little Chief head. They do alot of high end work and lots of cup team development. 8)
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

RZ@D wrote:MBE is very reputable, and put alot of work into their port in the Dart Little Chief head. They do alot of high end work and lots of cup team development. 8)
I don't agree with that.
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

i tried to get in touch with those guys, never could get ahold of anyone & never did get any kind of response........nice :evil:
There are no limit's to mans' ingenuity, just as mans' ingenuity will never conquer the forces & behavior of this planet....Smokey Y.
526FIREHAWK
Post by 526FIREHAWK »

OK, Say you have one set of MBE Little Chiefs That flow 470 and a set of Darts CNC Little Chiefs that flow 420, how much power difference between the two on a 441 ci. SBC 4.190 bore and 4" stroke
ChrisU
Pro
Pro
Post by ChrisU »

You never know the one flowing 420 might make more 8)
Uratchko Racing Engines
248-755-5556
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

i won't be on the dyno with mine for maybe two months, just finished building headers, crank & pistons not here yet either. 420 vs. 470 cfm H.P. comparision? pretty broad question to try & answer accuratly if you ask me.....no? i see lot's of unknown's in between...lot's.
There are no limit's to mans' ingenuity, just as mans' ingenuity will never conquer the forces & behavior of this planet....Smokey Y.
JK@D

MBE

Post by JK@D »

Joe Mendelis wrote:
RZ@D wrote:MBE is very reputable, and put alot of work into their port in the Dart Little Chief head. They do alot of high end work and lots of cup team development. 8)
I don't agree with that.
I personally know Matt B. as well as his father Dave. Matt worked with people like Sam Gianino cutting his teeth, then Connie Kalitta's top fuel teams, Joe Gibbs during their championship year with Bobby, and he worked for Carl Wegner's shop in NC on their Busch and Craftsman Truck series stuff, he is currently doing heads for DEI as well as intakes. He also does the heads for Frank Iaconia's NHRA Pro Stock engines, currently one of the top five fastest cars out there. He is well respected in the eyes of guys like Dick Maskin (owner of Dart) Matt often shares ideas with Dick, Allen Johnson (owns Allen Johnson Cylinder Heads, and tuner for Tony Schumachers ARMY Top Fuel car), and when Greg Anderson first formed his team, Matt worked with them on their hed development. So he knows his stuff pretty well. He knows that flow numbers are not the name of the game, and isnt going to spoof someone into thinking that they are all that. I know they are very very busy and have at times been hard to get a hold of, even for me, and like i said I personally know them and they are a dealer for us. There is information on their website as well as their email address there, you can forward them an email, and they will get to you...

I know Ryans port volume is like 315, and the ones that MBE has listed is 345cc's, need to compare apples to apples.

Just FYI i called just now rang twice and was picked up by Matt himself...

I gain nothing by telling anyone this, maybe lose something who knows, just thought he deserved a better shake...

john
Dart
RZ@D

Post by RZ@D »

Joe Mendelis wrote:
I don't agree with that.
Suit yourself
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Re: MBE

Post by Gary Blair »

JK@D wrote:
Joe Mendelis wrote:
I don't agree with that.
I personally know Matt B. as well as his father Dave. Matt worked with people like Sam Gianino cutting his teeth, then Connie Kalitta's top fuel teams, Joe Gibbs during their championship year with Bobby, and he worked for Carl Wegner's shop in NC on their Busch and Craftsman Truck series stuff, he is currently doing heads for DEI as well as intakes. He also does the heads for Frank Iaconia's NHRA Pro Stock engines, currently one of the top five fastest cars out there. He is well respected in the eyes of guys like Dick Maskin (owner of Dart) Matt often shares ideas with Dick, Allen Johnson (owns Allen Johnson Cylinder Heads, and tuner for Tony Schumachers ARMY Top Fuel car), and when Greg Anderson first formed his team, Matt worked with them on their hed development. So he knows his stuff pretty well. He knows that flow numbers are not the name of the game, and isnt going to spoof someone into thinking that they are all that. I know they are very very busy and have at times been hard to get a hold of, even for me, and like i said I personally know them and they are a dealer for us. There is information on their website as well as their email address there, you can forward them an email, and they will get to you...

I know Ryans port volume is like 315, and the ones that MBE has listed is 345cc's, need to compare apples to apples.

Just FYI i called just now rang twice and was picked up by Matt himself...

I gain nothing by telling anyone this, maybe lose something who knows, just thought he deserved a better shake...

john
Dart
This is all true. I saw one of their D-3 Yates Ford heads that flows 450 cfm @ .900 with a 2.18 valve. They in fact do Mike Edwards heads. They were at the Orlando PRI. I spoke with Dennis Warner.
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

I'm sure he has some good stuff, but the heads I've seen had inflated flow numbers and made 50 hp less than the same casting done by Slawko.
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Can someone tell me what cubic-inch or rpm you will have to run and turn to make a 345cc int port effective??? CFM # was impressive, but lets face it. i think it's a little far fetched! How big was the intake valve??

Mike Theroux
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!