32 Valve 427 ZO6 Supercar Engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

It seems the problem is having a 300k car with the engine from a 80k car.

of course the 80k car already kicks the butt of more expensive ones.

As soon as you change the cam, it gets tougher to pass emissions. the LS7 cam only has around 211 degrees intake, and 230 exhaust. .050" duration. there is obviously much more power availible for off road use.

it would be appealing to have any current racing engine, whether it's Indy car, F1, nextel cup, GTP etc... in a supercar, but can you clean it up enough to be certified?

Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
beth
Expert
Expert

Post by beth »

Max Effort wrote:
As soon as you change the cam, it gets tougher to pass emissions. the LS7 cam only has around 211 degrees intake, and 230 exhaust. .050" duration. there is obviously much more power availible for off road use.

That is the reason he is interested in 4 valve heads. Correctly designed they are capable of much more power at these durations plus it adds the "exotic" factor so it is more marketable.

I guess DOHC and a light weight belt drive system is out for weight and packaging reasons?
DavidNJ
Post by DavidNJ »

If it is curtain area you need and you have enough budget, couldn't you develop the Arao heads?
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

Going quad cam may be technically easier as we could get someone to re-engineer the old Lotus ZO6 with its variable cam timing onto the new LS7... it is an option - but a heavier more bulky one

In a car this light with 427 cubes - the only advantage of variable cam timing would be economy and emissions.

OHV will make more torque and provide snappier performance in the normal driving range than quad cams. 32V won't make any more power than the std LS7 heads at this level but adds exclusiveness and a milder tune/fatter power curve which will be easier to clean up.

We're in talks now with NRC who has done it on the BB Mopar. Developing the Arao is a possible as well....
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert
Post by bobqzzi »

Nothing says a supercharger has to be mounted up high, or even on the engine. The extra 30-40lbs will be more than offsett by the huge gain of power under the curve. Good handling is lovely, as is a light responsive car, but a small increase in weight accompanied by a giant leap in power is a pretty good trade off.
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

bobqzzi wrote:Nothing says a supercharger has to be mounted up high, or even on the engine. The extra 30-40lbs will be more than offsett by the huge gain of power under the curve. Good handling is lovely, as is a light responsive car, but a small increase in weight accompanied by a giant leap in power is a pretty good trade off.
true Bob but real power is best got from turbocharging. Done right they offer so much more than a blower does and infinitely more flexibility in tuning. At the power per weight we are talking - the slight throttle response advantage of a blower vs turbo is lost to a more manageable and tunable power curve of a turbo.

Not that turbos need be unresponsive. The pistons I had made for the TT Viper I drove was more responsive than a stocker - yet made 1100hp on 14lb. Had the response been any better it'd have been dangerous. As it was - it was perfect. Your mother could drive it shopping, or you could run 200mph at will and have 150mph by the end of the quarter with stereo and air con.

Comparing both blown Vipers to turbocharged Vipers there is no comparison - blowers are for those that can't afford to do it right.... or in the case of NHRA - because the rules say you have to. Don't get me started.... lol Turbos will always beat superchargers unless penalized - blowers are all about nostalga or budget. you need to be converted by experiencing a decent setup :lol:

back to the topic...

the issue is we don't need a power adder to make 650hp.... we'd only need that if the car went to a German V8. We can get the power we want standing on our heads - it's a compliant and exclusive combination we are after here.

there's some pretty connected and savvy people looking at this right now - thanks to all folks here that have had some advice.
ROGUE GTS
Post by ROGUE GTS »

Hey Barry, cool to see your project coming together, should be a monster.

I see your point in wanting a dohc just to say it's there, and for some small mid range gains. But the drivability can easily be achieved with the proper manifold and t/b setup. Specifically setup with 8 individual t/b's like the GTS-R, C6/7-R's etc. Combine that with a good efi system, and I mean good, not that aem plug and play crap. And you can tame even a very agressive cam to have astounding manners.

As well look into a better injection system. There are a few coming about that stem from F1 tech, using very high fuel pressures and some interesting injector locations.

But personally I wouldn't even bother with an LS7, to do it right you're going to be changing out so much on the motor it's pointless. That and while it's a good motor, it's far from great. For what you're doing I think you could make something completely awesome using somewhat common parts.

Think aluminum block, Any good aluminum head (sb2.2, etc.) but then go a little off kilter. Have a billet flat crank made. Shoot for a 4.25 bore, 3.75 stroke. With an individual t/b manifold, 11:1 compression, the throttle response would be absolutely insane, spin 8k all day long, and it would sound like a ferrari 360 on steriods x10. IMO that is what you need ot shoot for, make it sound like an exotic. Not many people spending that kind of $$$ want their car to sound like a corvette or camaro.

I've got a few other ideas as well that would be fun.
Sir Yun
Expert
Expert

Post by Sir Yun »

IMHO
you could do a lot worse than that german V8. it does make 420 HP from 256 CID (that is the way they pack in into a compact station car..fully trouble free etc etc) and is very compact and light.

Just loose more weight

But as max effort mentioned

supercars are as much about technology for technologies sake as performance.

while maybe perfectly sensible (hey it's a 300K car.. who gives a hoot about sensible anyway) putting a pushrod v8 in a car is not really good marketing. The engine needs to made from unobtainium and fueled by unicorn blood. That cheap digital made in china watch will keep time better than that 10K Rolex.. you get the picture.

http://www.koenigsegg.com/thecars/engin ... ineering=2

look at the trouble these guys have gone through to disguise this charged V8 ( i'm pretty shure it's a american made block deep down). The old model used a Ford motorsport V8 i think.. just that fact just made it less supercar.

there are some guys putting pretty stock 425HP V8 engines in kit cars like Radicals and those are very very quick around a track at relatively budget pricing.. but it's not a supercar.

while this looks a bit weird to US citizens:

Over here the likes of the Ford GT have gotten a bit of flack due to the hilarious fuel consumption (fuel is about 6.76 bucks a gallon here and even when you can afford, it just feels a bit silly when you have to top up for an average weekly income every 70 miles.. the only way you get the quoted EPA fuel consumption with that thing is to drive it off a cliff). That, and the fact it's so wide you can't actualy drive across Italy without getting stuck somewhere.

just my 2 cts.
*ok i'll shut up and lurk*
JR
“There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”
― Richard Feynman

Expert ? Me ? ...whhhhaaahahhaahahaha
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Not sure what items are being looked at as "Must Change" on the LS7 in order for it to meet the requirements of this project.

Not much needs to change to blow a ways past 600 HP with it, so I'm pretty sure the engine could be used in near as-is condition with a cam & piston change plus changes to the calibration to accomodate the new cam with all objectives met.

I'd love to see an engine with SB2.2 or any of the aftermarket heads meet 2007 Nox standards, and I'd really love to see an engine with heads of this type blow clean on cold startup & certify with a threshold aged catalyst in it. I seriously doubt it'd happen.

The idea of making some 32V heads from scratch and then developing them to a level that will certify to 2008-2009 CARB/EPA standards for emissions sounds like a very, very, very expensive and extremely time-consuming chore.
DavidNJ
Post by DavidNJ »

Combine that with a good efi system, and I mean good, not that aem plug and play crap
What system would you recommend? Motec? EFI? Autronic? What are the difficencies with the AEM?
Think aluminum block, ... Have a billet flat crank made. Shoot for a 4.25 bore, 3.75 stroke.
What aluminum small block is avaiable that supports 4.25" bores?
Specifically setup with 8 individual t/b's ... Combine that with a good efi system ... And you can tame even a very agressive cam to have astounding manners.
Yes, but how does that help meet emissions requirements?
better injection system. There are a few coming about ... using very high fuel pressures and some interesting injector locations.
Could some of the direct ijection BMW, Audi, or MB systems be adapted?
Have a billet flat crank made.
What would be the advantage? Why aren't any available for high performance US OHV V-8s?[/quote]
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

8TB is the plan. The technology to make 8TB's street friendly has already been done down in this part of the world.

11:1+ will also be likely.

Some of the ideas are great but so cutting edge you'd need a few million to make them worth the risk on a car that will be sold with a warranty. At this stage that is not an option - the company has to be realistic.

A lot of guys are NOT getting it re 32Valves. I said before it wasn't really about power - but in a way it IS. For all you guys that are convinced a hot set of 2v heads are as good - well here is a reality check....

http://www.araoengineering.com/dnochrts/dyno_sheets.htm

just think about that for a minute - a Performer RPM manifold, only 226 degrees @ 0.050, only 0.478" lift on the intake, only 350 c.i. plus 0.060 overbore = 668hp!!! The little mouse had almost 300hp by 3000rpm for goodness sake. By 3200rpm it's 313hp and pulls its 668hp at 7500rpm -

TRY THAT on a 2V head...

A 2V small block can make 1000hp on carbs - I know because we've got an engine guy here doing it on a Ford. SB Ford runs 6's in a dragster - nobody up in the northern hemisphere is doing any better than that. But a 1000hp 2V head is on the limit - motor spins at 10,000rpm on OHV.

What are the limits on a big inch 4V motor?

Nobody knows because nobody has done it. I can tell you 1000hp on a STREET small block would be technically easy. Just look at that graph and it will tell you everything about why 32V is the way to go. 16V cannot and will not do that.

The real problem is making a reliable system without going to ovrhead cams and adding a lot of weight/size.

American engine tuners have done more for OHV technology than anyone in the racing and performance street market - but the US market has completely cocked up its ideas about 4V technology. The USA is 20 years behind the rest of the world here...

Eagle tried - nobody wanted it, Batten did an amazingly good setup - it dominated the few places it was allowed to run and was outlawed everywhere else - GM picked him up and his little 4 liter V8 became a legend - but was still only 4 liters... nobody wanted his technology on the big motors - now he's bankrupt... Arao -can't even get enough sales to barely keep going, NRC Performance developed a 32V big block Hemi Mopar that was light years ahead of the 16V hemi or wedge - but nobody wanted it so now they sell inferior Predator heads that outperform most other wedge heads - making 1210hp under 600 cubes on gas - but A LOT LESS THAN 32 V COULD DO! Schubeck only interests mainly the boat people.... everyone who has tried to bring the US market up to date on the big motors has gone broke or lost interest for lack of interest.

Imagine a 427 Lexus V8, or a 427 Merc or BMW V8. Imagine a Cosworth 32V 427, or a 427 Lambo... quad cams add little its the 4V that does the real work....

What would wake the US market up to reality would be for a major OEM elsewhere to make a dominating 7 liter engine that made the 2V motors look ridiculous... If gas was not $4-6 per gallon that would have been done a long time ago.

Not knocking the great advances in US 2V motors or knocking anyone - just pointing out that those who think a good 2V is comparable to a good 4V is not even close.

Put a S.B.2 head on a 350 with 750 holley, 226 cam and Performer RPM and superimpose the graph over the one on the link and see the difference . If I'm wrong and the S.B.2 head can match that curve on such a small cam/intake/carb I'll eat my words and humbly apologise for daring to challenge the 16V technology compared to 32V.

we want to stick with the 32V theme if we can make it work for a realistic cost. It's a quest worth finding out.
ROGUE GTS
Post by ROGUE GTS »

DavidNJ wrote:
Combine that with a good efi system, and I mean good, not that aem plug and play crap
What system would you recommend? Motec? EFI? Autronic? What are the difficencies with the AEM?
AEM is ok for a plug and play, it's easy to use and has some nice features for reasonable price, Motec is nice but is getting dated. Personally I would use an EFI-Technology Tec 3 on it. The injector drivers are by far some of the best available, extremely nice software, and the ignition setup for it is lightyears ahead of what others are offering. I've noticed quite a few big name builders going to it and after seeing the software/specs I have no dobut why.
Tom Nelson (nelson racing engines) swears by it.
Keith Eickerts (big name in offshore boating) has made the switch as well. Those guys are on the leading edge of motor tech and don't have any budget constraints. That says a lot.

There are a couple other systems I would like to see as well, stuff that is a dedicated processor/injection package. But it's sure to be stupid expensive so it may be a while.

Think aluminum block, ... Have a billet flat crank made. Shoot for a 4.25 bore, 3.75 stroke.
What aluminum small block is avaiable that supports 4.25" bores?
Many are available stock with a 4.125. Get a siamese and you can resleve them to 4.25. For an application like this it wouldn't be hard to order a few with those sleves stock. If it was a hassle leave it at 4.125, it's not a big deal.
Specifically setup with 8 individual t/b's ... Combine that with a good efi system ... And you can tame even a very agressive cam to have astounding manners.
Yes, but how does that help meet emissions requirements?
It helps when used with a top notch efi system. It's all in the tuning and efficiency of the burn. The 8 individual t/b's give a much more precise regulation of air into each cylinder, and much quicker response to the map sensor. Emissions goes much further than just the manifold. Things like top ring placement, sparkplug heat range, and a million others play into it. Cold start with a catalyst would be the only time I would worry about meeting federal regulations. The rest would be cake.
better injection system. There are a few coming about ... using very high fuel pressures and some interesting injector locations.
Could some of the direct ijection BMW, Audi, or MB systems be adapted?
Maybe, but I don't think they are any better than whats available on the aftermarket. Unless it was a huge hassle fitting a standalone to meet all the OBD-III stuff, or get around it alltogether, I wouldn't even bother.
Have a billet flat crank made.
What would be the advantage? Why aren't any available for high performance US OHV V-8s?
I'm not sure why they aren't offered, likely because it's just different and they require a completely dedicated stack of parts. I haven't done any specific tests, but from what I have seen the flat cranks tend to have advantages at higher rpms. Maybe thats just because the vehicles that use them stock are such small displacement, who knows. But the ferrari 3.6 and 4.3 V8's use them, I believe the V12s do as well, and many others. I'm gonna do some research and see what I can find now.

My thoughts on using a 16v were purely to keep it simple, and for longevity. I know MANY people with exotics who would be thrilled to not have $15-20k/yr service bills. Having to spend $10k to change a set of timing belts, and so on. If one could do a 32v and retain the pushrod configuration that would be a great compromise IMO. It's no question dohc is the way to go. One not need look any further than motorcycles, and just about every exotic ever made as proof positive. My 5v dohc 13:1 motorcycle makes the equivelnat of 140hp/L with a useful rpm range of 2500-12000 rpm. All on pump gas. It didn't require race gas till over 15:1 compression. But it comes at a price, and they generally do require a lot more maintenance, and it doesn't come cheap.

edited to clean up a quoting nightmare.
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

20 years behind

Post by Gary Blair »

Torquemonster wrote:8TB is the plan. The technology to make 8TB's street friendly has already been done down in this part of the world.

11:1+ will also be likely.

Some of the ideas are great but so cutting edge you'd need a few million to make them worth the risk on a car that will be sold with a warranty. At this stage that is not an option - the company has to be realistic.

A lot of guys are NOT getting it re 32Valves. I said before it wasn't really about power - but in a way it IS. For all you guys that are convinced a hot set of 2v heads are as good - well here is a reality check....

http://www.araoengineering.com/dnochrts/dyno_sheets.htm

just think about that for a minute - a Performer RPM manifold, only 226 degrees @ 0.050, only 0.478" lift on the intake, only 350 c.i. plus 0.060 overbore = 668hp!!! The little mouse had almost 300hp by 3000rpm for goodness sake. By 3200rpm it's 313hp and pulls its 668hp at 7500rpm -

TRY THAT on a 2V head...

A 2V small block can make 1000hp on carbs - I know because we've got an engine guy here doing it on a Ford. SB Ford runs 6's in a dragster - nobody up in the northern hemisphere is doing any better than that. But a 1000hp 2V head is on the limit - motor spins at 10,000rpm on OHV.

What are the limits on a big inch 4V motor?

Nobody knows because nobody has done it. I can tell you 1000hp on a STREET small block would be technically easy. Just look at that graph and it will tell you everything about why 32V is the way to go. 16V cannot and will not do that.

The real problem is making a reliable system without going to ovrhead cams and adding a lot of weight/size.

American engine tuners have done more for OHV technology than anyone in the racing and performance street market - but the US market has completely cocked up its ideas about 4V technology. The USA is 20 years behind the rest of the world here...

Eagle tried - nobody wanted it, Batten did an amazingly good setup - it dominated the few places it was allowed to run and was outlawed everywhere else - GM picked him up and his little 4 liter V8 became a legend - but was still only 4 liters... nobody wanted his technology on the big motors - now he's bankrupt... Arao -can't even get enough sales to barely keep going, NRC Performance developed a 32V big block Hemi Mopar that was light years ahead of the 16V hemi or wedge - but nobody wanted it so now they sell inferior Predator heads that outperform most other wedge heads - making 1210hp under 600 cubes on gas - but A LOT LESS THAN 32 V COULD DO! Schubeck only interests mainly the boat people.... everyone who has tried to bring the US market up to date on the big motors has gone broke or lost interest for lack of interest.

Imagine a 427 Lexus V8, or a 427 Merc or BMW V8. Imagine a Cosworth 32V 427, or a 427 Lambo... quad cams add little its the 4V that does the real work....

What would wake the US market up to reality would be for a major OEM elsewhere to make a dominating 7 liter engine that made the 2V motors look ridiculous... If gas was not $4-6 per gallon that would have been done a long time ago.

Not knocking the great advances in US 2V motors or knocking anyone - just pointing out that those who think a good 2V is comparable to a good 4V is not even close.

Put a S.B.2 head on a 350 with 750 holley, 226 cam and Performer RPM and superimpose the graph over the one on the link and see the difference . If I'm wrong and the S.B.2 head can match that curve on such a small cam/intake/carb I'll eat my words and humbly apologise for daring to challenge the 16V technology compared to 32V.

we want to stick with the 32V theme if we can make it work for a realistic cost. It's a quest worth finding out.
The only American companies that are 20 years behind the rest of the world with their push rod V-8's are DCX and GM.

Another choice would be the 4.0 Jag DOHC AJ V-8. Take a look at Paul Genitolzi's Trans -Am Jag with 8 throttle bodies. That thing screams. It's all aluminum. They use a version in the Aston Martin that is real nice as well.
DavidNJ
Post by DavidNJ »

550hp NA from a 427. Similar to a Z06, IMHO
Torquemonster

Re: 20 years behind

Post by Torquemonster »

Gary Blair wrote:
The only American companies that are 20 years behind the rest of the world with their push rod V-8's are DCX and GM.
The US leads the world on their 2V race tech... it was utilizing 4V tech on their larger engines I was referring to.

It was a crying shame the NRC Performance 32V Mopar never took off - can you imagine what that would be like in an all aluminum 572 cube configuration?

Top American engine builders can do 32V and do it well - the problem has been the US buying public are clueless - so won't buy it unless it's cheap as a Summit catalog crate engine and they see it on every winning Nascar and NHRA major class.

That lack of support is the major deterent why we do not see 7 liter+ engines with 32 Valves.

Supercar owners are different - they expect exotic.