cast iron grinding burrs?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bc
Pro
Pro
cast iron grinding burrs?

Post by bc »

It has been along time since I have ported any cast iron heads and all my burrs are worn out or just to slow. Where can I find some really aggressive burrs for cast iron. My stuff is double cut carbide burrs but they never were very fast.
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Bc,

I know what your going threw :!: unfortunatley half of the heads i port of iron, and i am always going threw burrs. I find what goodson has to offer lasts quite awhile. I've also gotten some from Powerhouse. It's to bad the iron burrs aren't as aggresive as the aluminum burrs. :( The most important thing when doing iron, the burrs last so much longer with new heads. or ones that have been run. the ones with surface rust from "baking" eat even a new burr alive!

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
SWB
Pro
Pro

Post by SWB »

I use alumabur's to rough on cast iron and then the double cut ones to smooth it up before going to stones or cartrige rolls.

SWB
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

SWB,

Do the aluminim burrs get chipped up and beaten bad on iron?? the burrs aren't cheap and would hate for one to go bad just for an iron head.

Mike Theroux
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro
Post by JBV-HEADS »

Cylinder Head Abrasives in Sacramento CA
http://www.ruffstuff.com/
Do yourself a favor too, and get a Suhner Grinder. Your hands, arms and back will thank you.

Joe Stockton
JBV-HEADS
http://jbv-heads.com/
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

My personal favorite on iron cutting burs is the ones MA Ford sells. They are more expensive but seems to out last the others I've tried. The ones that I've had the best luck with have a short hash mark going across the flutes, instead of being a true double cut.

I've read on this forum many prefer Mondello burs, but i suspect most of those guys use them mostly on Alum.
SWB
Pro
Pro

Post by SWB »

I haven't had them chip at all, but they do dull out a little faster (maybe, I'm still not 100% certain). I've noticed that even when you have an alumabur that's getting dull for aluminum, it will still rip through cast iron like crazy, so they last pretty good on cast iron.

SWB
Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

Why not just chuck it up on a Bridgeport Mill and use a end mill?

A good Machinist with a little bit of practice can clean up most ports better than the best machinist with a Hand Held Grinder and Rotary Rasp's.
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro
Post by JBV-HEADS »

And thus the reason we bought a CNC. Because a machine can clean up a port better than the best machinist :shock: . All three disciplines have their place in business. Volume, complexity, setup efficiency, redundancy and the all mighty CASH FLOW, will determine the best practice. Gentlemen, I would look at CHA as they have an excellent choice of burs and I like the fast cut burs for really throwing the chips. The spirals work great on aluminum and are easier to control. And if you’ve ever used a Suhner Grinder, you won’t go back. Kind of like going from Frisco to NY. Do you want a Jap bike or a Harley :roll: ? Good luck.

Joe Stockton
JBV-HEADS
under contruction
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

To go back to the burrs thread........

Don't know what the crack is over there but the price of burrs has collapsed in England. Even the more expensive brands are now more sensibly priced. We used to pay around $30-35 a piece. You can get them for a quarter of that now. Guess it's the Chinese factor..........

Which brings me to my point. When it comes to consumables the age old argument will rage on. Do you buy quality or budget?

Two thoughts really:

You're going some to get a quality burr to outlast a cheapy by a factor of four.

The bit of hard you hit from time to time doesn't care what type of burr you're using.

Not recommending everybody uses cheap stuff but cost can be a major factor in some peoples thinking. Especially non-pros.

My twopence worth, anyway. John.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Which sunher do you like, the lower or higher speed model? (electric)
JBV-HEADS wrote:<snip> And if you’ve ever used a Suhner Grinder, you won’t go back. Kind of like going from Frisco to NY. Do you want a Jap bike or a Harley :roll: ? Good luck.

Joe Stockton
JBV-HEADS
under contruction
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

on Cast-Iron, i'm using the Standard Abrasives 's Alumina-Burrs
and Makita GEO600 w/Speed Control.

the AluminaBurrs work great on Cast-Iron,
with the right RPM and pressure and hand-control., otherwise you'll
Chip and Dull the Alumina-Burrs .

Once Port shape is in Ball-Park, i'll use finer Carbide Burrs to finish ports
then Cartridge Rolls.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro
Post by JBV-HEADS »

Max Effort,

I like the 9R or now they call it USC9R. The lower speeds are more soothing to your hands than the high speed, irritating vibrations the higher speeds cause. Especially in a cast iron exhaust port which feels as hard as the carbide itself. The mostly air cooled BOP exhaust ports being the worst. The built in potentiometer which applies more torque and speed when you get into some serious cutting, is real nice. It also brings the cutter down when you pull off from a really good cut. I’ve burned up just about every grinder that you can by, but this thing is 5 years old, and I’ve only replace colletts. The speed adjustment is easy to get to, and with my large hands, the unit fits in my heads very comfortably. It’s just a very nice unit.

Johnny,

Cheap burrs have a place in porting. Very hard cast iron exhaust ports would be one. I don’t use them for safety reasons. It’s no fun having a carbide bur head cutting into your hand that fell off the shaft. Next it lands in our lap, which would make your cut hand seam mild compared to what it could cut there :shock: . They work, but with increased failure. I just don’t use them for safety reasons.

Good luck,

Joe Stockton
JBV-HEADS
under construction
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Yes, guess the crown jewels might take a hit if you're unlucky. Don't rub 'em, count 'em, as they say.

To be honest though, Joe, I (nor anyone I know over here) has had one disintegrate like you say. Perhaps we get the better quality versions/they're not Chinese. And my mate certainly can lean on them (judging by how bu**ered they come back when he "borrows" them).

Will have to watch out for the dodgy ones.

Cheers John.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Just a note on the grinders. I have a 13 year old Bosch 1209 (big: 8.4A) that's 13 years old, nothing but brushes. Also a Bosch 1215 (smaller: 4.6A) that's 12 years old that had 2 collets and one bearing replaced. And, they have been through hell. But, like a Suhner, they are a bit pricy too.