cast iron grinding burrs?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

talon
Pro
Pro

Post by talon »

Good morning gents

I bought some burrs last week from CHA. I bought that - Fast cut - I beleive it is called. Very aggressive. It doesn't like going into corners and bouncing around at all. It has a lot of releif on the back side of the cutting edge. This weakens it a bit - it will chip....but it cuts like hell. It would be nice if they put a .03 primary relief and then go into that secondary to streangth'n up the cutting edge. I am ordering another today along with a couple more. I tried a flame to dig out the area behind the valve guide boss..court is out on that shape. Where do you guys use a flame at?

Jim
88Power

Post by 88Power »

Talon:

I've been looking at that Fast-cut from CHA this morning. I'm using all double cut carbide burrs right now for cast iron, nice finish, but not real fast material removal. I have 3 main burrs in my arsenal----an oval (short shank and 6" long), a cylindrical with ball end (for opening up valve throat), and a couple different sizes of just ball ends. I find that I use the oval 95% of the time, it's a good general purpose burr. I've never tried the flame cut.

Based on your comments, I think I will buy some of the Fast-cuts. How may heads do you think you will get out of one of these? Do you use air die-grinder or electric?---I'm wondering what speed these work best. Thanks.
talon
Pro
Pro

Post by talon »

howdy

I don't know the longevity issue yet- in my case, I had to learn where this tool liked to work at -> not corners. I beat mine up this weekend. Still cuts but has chips in the cutting edge. Watch out - this thing throw chips!! I was lucky this weekend. I got a chip in my eye and didn't rub it - went and put drops in it and used a q-tip and got it out. Last x-mas day I was porting a head and got a chip in my eye and had to have urgent care take it out with a needle. I have to find some sort of eye protection( i wear glasses) that wont fog up. That was nasty watch'n that needle dig out that chip.

I use a air grinder witha swivel on the end. I would like to get a Dot-co with a forward facing exhaust - that is 500+ bucks though. I have to wait. I don't do this stuff for a living.

Jim