Intake port location?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bc
Pro
Pro
Intake port location?

Post by bc »

I noticed in another thread that Darrin Morgan stated the an intake port will make more power if it is directed towards the cylinder wall rather than towards the center of the cylinder. So I was thinking just what is the best possible location for the intake runner in relation to the vavle. Let say you take a SBC head and all you do is move the port location over so that it now between the exhaust and intake pushrods (like a ford head) but you keep the same valve location and port cross sectional areas roughly the same would the new port location make more power, what about flow would it show better, worse, or the same? If it will make more power then why? Just what is happening to the mixture that it likes that layout over a SBC layout or one that aims it towards the center?

I know that there is some hypothetical questions in this but I thought it might make for some good discussion.
ccb

port location

Post by ccb »

The ford head has a good port location .The problem with a ford head is,if you use a single carb, the runner angles from the manifold to the head are messed up.With two carbs its not as bad.One thing a ford head has,it's a short runner with a high port opening,compared to a chevy head.So the valve has a better line of sight to the port opening.But two ouside runners are messed up to carb location.I think a chevy head is better when it comes to carb to port opening location.If you could shorten the lenght of a chevy head and raised the roof up like a ford you would get the best of both worlds.