HELP!?!?!.....39.5" Pitot reading at the apex!?!?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kerry S.
HELP!?!?!.....39.5" Pitot reading at the apex!?!?

Post by Kerry S. »

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here but been reading and researching many topics in the archives for awhile now. GREAT bunch of VERY knowledgable folks here for sure! :D

Anyway....as you see in my subject title I'm getting a 39.5" pitot reading in the center of the apex at the beginning of the short turn radius. The "outer" readings to either side are 33.5". According to the formula these equate to 412fps and 383 fps respectively. This is at .580" lift (I pinpointed this after a sizeable drop from .550" to .600") and flowing it's peak at 338.2cfm @ 28". You can hear the port starting to break-up badly at this point and at .585" lift the port really backs up by about 8-10 numbers. This is all taken from our SF600 bench with FlowCom. Oh....I guess I should say these are TA Performance Stage 2 SE heads with a 2.160"I, a 1.944" throat for 90% with a 4.375" bore.

:?: ANY suggestions as to how I can lower these readings as the air is just "shooting" directly over the valve and "crashing" at the back of the bowl. :?: I'm really scratching my head here. :?

Thank you VERY much for any and ALL help...

Oh....also...please go easy on me as I'm WAY out of my league after reading all the informative info there is available on this site thanks to such a great gathering of minds. :)

Thanks again...
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

I know there will be several opinions on this. I can only tell you I have seen very good running heads that were just as high as yours over the short turn.