sb chevy 034 head casting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

drifter
Expert
Expert

sb chevy 034 head casting

Post by drifter »

I have a crack in an exhaust pocket on my 034 chev head. it goes about 3/8 down the valve seat and it even goes 1/8 on the deck surface. Its to deep for a seat to just cut it out and with a bit of a crack on the deck surface how could this be fixed? It has 2.02 1.60 valves
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

A valve seat alone will not fix that crack. Someone who is experienced in crack repair may be able to fix it by powder welding or stitching it with pins. There is a guy in the Mid-Michigan area that claims to be able to fix almost any crack. I've had him fix some oddball Triumph and other stuff. He will guarantee his work, but only if he does all of the machine work involved as well (valve job, etc.).

tom
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Drifter,

Don't know if your willing to ship out your head, but I know of a guy who can fix just about any crack in iron. Located in Mass. Name is Frank Casey. let me know if you'd like his Number. you would have to cut the head for a new seat, then he'll stitch all he need and go ahead and install you new seat for you. He pressure tests everything he fixes at 40-60psi.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Mike, I use the same guy all the time and he is very good. he will stitch right through the seat. often, I don't need to replace the seat .

Drifter, There are other people that do this work and the valve seat crack is one of the easier repairs.

highVE wrote:Drifter,

Don't know if your willing to ship out your head, but I know of a guy who can fix just about any crack in iron. Located in Mass. Name is Frank Casey. let me know if you'd like his Number. you would have to cut the head for a new seat, then he'll stitch all he need and go ahead and install you new seat for you. He pressure tests everything he fixes at 40-60psi.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o