selecting tranny ratios

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justin Jones

selecting tranny ratios

Post by Justin Jones »

I'm building a tranny right now for my race car and I'm tempted to make it a nice close ratio but I've read that it might not be the best idea for a high-powered turbo car like what I'm building... Especially for drag racing... The thing is that I can make the close ratio tranny for practically free (accounting both time and money)... so why not? What's better shifting 3 times in a quarter mile and loading the engine more or shifting 4 times and loading the engine less on each gear?

The engine should peak at about 9 or 10 grand, not sure yet, won't know until the top end is bought and installed and put on the dyno, approximately 600whp, 450 ft-lbs. it will have 26" tires probably (235/60/25) Mickey Thompson ET streets:

here's the current stock gear ratios:

1st 3.250
2nd 1.909
3rd 1.250
4th 0.909
5th 0.702

FINAL DRIVE 4.250

here's what I am planning for it:

1st: 3.250
2nd: 1.909
3rd: 1.650
4th: 1.250

5th: 0.702

FINAL DRIVE 4.250

thoughts?
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

You need a dyno sheet before we can say conclusively.

http://www.hotroddersauctions.com/tech/ ... ricks.html

scroll down to the it says: "Set Your Gears Up " near the bottom if :)
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

Yes, I can see how that's very true. I think I'm stuck with the stock gears right now anyway.
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Re: selecting tranny ratios

Post by OldSStroker »

Justin Jones wrote:I'm building a tranny right now for my race car and I'm tempted to make it a nice close ratio but I've read that it might not be the best idea for a high-powered turbo car like what I'm building... Especially for drag racing... The thing is that I can make the close ratio tranny for practically free (accounting both time and money)... so why not? What's better shifting 3 times in a quarter mile and loading the engine more or shifting 4 times and loading the engine less on each gear?

The engine should peak at about 9 or 10 grand, not sure yet, won't know until the top end is bought and installed and put on the dyno, approximately 600whp, 450 ft-lbs. it will have 26" tires probably (235/60/25) Mickey Thompson ET streets:

here's the current stock gear ratios:

1st 3.250
2nd 1.909
3rd 1.250
4th 0.909
5th 0.702

FINAL DRIVE 4.250

here's what I am planning for it:

1st: 3.250
2nd: 1.909
3rd: 1.650
4th: 1.250

5th: 0.702

FINAL DRIVE 4.250

thoughts?
Look at the rpm drops if you shift at 10K.

First option:

1>2 10K >> 5875
2>3 10K >> 6550
3>4 10K >> 7275
4>5 10K >> 7725

2nd option:

1>2 10K >> 5875
2>3 10K >> 8650
3>4 10K >> 7575
4>5 10K >> 5625

With the second option you won't be in 3rd very long, maybe 1-2 seconds, depending on your weight and torque curve.

You will be in 5th a long time if you are planning 9-10K in the lights. 4th will carry you farther (1st option), quicker than shifting into 5th (2nd option).

Once you have a dyno torque curve, put the engine and vehicle data into a good drag racing simulator and play with all the ratios you have available.

Good luck.
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
DavidNJ
Post by DavidNJ »

OldSStroker definitely has could the issue. The 1-2 drop is over 40% of the rev range. In the second option the 2-3 drop is less than 15%.

In both cases are you skipping 5th? Are you even going to get into 4th? My guess is this is a comparison of a three speed vs. a 4 speed, where the extra ratio has small advantage that the shift time may make it a detriment.

Answer...neither choice is particularly good.
hotrod
Pro
Pro

Post by hotrod »

As I see it there are basically 3 hard data points you have to address and a few discretionary decisions, in picking gear ratios.

You must chose a starting ratio (diff + low gear + tire diameter) that gives you the max gear you can effectively put to the ground on launch.

Your top gear needs to be tied to your trap speed and the dyno plot so you clear the traps on the down hill side of the power curve. This will get you as much acceleration as early as possible in the run.

You want gear ratios the get progressively smaller in percentage change as you go through the gears because (especially in a fast car). In the last 330 ft or so your not only acclerating the weight of the car but pushing a lot of air resistance.

Next you need to decide how many gear changes you want to make in the quarter which is tied to 2 variables, how broad is your engine torque curve, and what is your rpm range (back to the dyno plot), and how fast do you shift gears.

Most drivers take from 0.5 - 0.3 seconds to complete a shift (ignoring the folks named Ronny Sox for a moment). If you have the torque curve/power to pull 3 gears and you know you shift a bit on the slow side, favor running 3 gears. If you are like most of us plan on running 4 gears, and trapping near red line in 4th at your expected ET/mph.

After you have an answer to all those questions, then the simulation programs will get you real close.

You might also want to ask around to see what similar cars are running for differential gearing, tire size and low ratio to help pin down how much gear you can get to hook on your tires, chassis, and engine combo.

Most high performance street cars (with tires near 24" in dia), if you take the engines max torque and multiply it by the starting ratio ( diff x low ratio) and divide by the cars weight you will come out with a number between 1.10 and 1.25. With typical street tires the rolling radius is so close to one foot it is not worth figuring out the lever arm of the tire/wheel.

If you get much higher than 1.25 you'll spend all your time trying to keep from blowing the tires off it.

I've not found reliable numbers for cars with slicks so can only guess that the numbers are up in the 2.0 - 3.0 range or there abouts.

(anyone want to donate some representative numbers for torque/weight and gearing for a few cars running slicks?)
I have some of the info for the Ford Thunderbolt but need rear end ratios and tranny low gear ratios.

1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt = = = 480 lb-ft 3225# =

Here are some representative cars I've found data for to work out this concept. As you can see only a couple of true "super cars" ever get up in the 2+ range on very sticky racing tires.

Code: Select all

Car                             diff    low ratio   starting ratio    max torque      weight          Max torque/weight
2006 Saleen S7                  3.70	    2.86	   10.582		       700		     2950		      2.510983		
1996 Mclaren F1 LM              3.27	    3.23	   10.5621		      520		     2336		      2.3511
2002 Corvette Z06		         3.42	    2.97	   10.1574		      400		     3130		      1.298070
AC Cobra 427/428		          3.31	    2.32	    7.6792		      480		     2350		      1.27509
2003 Dodge Viper Comp cp	     3.07	    2.66	    8.1662		      540		     3995		      1.11608

Larry
jlw

Post by jlw »

Thought I would post up a link to a software program for gearing in case you are interested. I picked up a copy for my project.
http://www.enginemanagementsystems.com/gearsplit.html
ECTA
Justin Jones

Post by Justin Jones »

wow thanks for all the good replies! there's some good stuff in this thread.

the 1-2 shift sucks and there's nothing i can do about it unless i win the lottery and get a custom gear set machined (that would be pretty nice) that is my achilles heal i think. well, one of them.

I think the best I can do is keep the gearsets stock... For about 500 bucks I could get a shorter final drive, (4.5,4.7 and 4.9 are options) I'll consider it.

BTW the car is 2200 pounds, front wheel drive...
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

Is this a 2 shaft or 3 shaft transmission? If its a 3 shaft there is a primary reduction ratio you aren't counting.
Dbeck002

Post by Dbeck002 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't turbocharged engines feed off of load?

Wouldn't it be to your advantage to run 3 gears instead of 4 in a turbo application?
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

You are trying to maintain equal horsepower before and after shift. Using your "inner gear ratio" for 1-2 shift, 3.250/1.909=1.7025 inner ratio and a 10000 RPM shift point, your RPM after shift would be 10000/1.7025=5874 RPM. If the horsepower you were trying to maintain was found only at 10000 RPM your engine will be in pieces before you reach an RPM to achieve this goal. This is where those dyno sheets come in. Unless all your inner gear ratios are the same you will have individual shift points for each gear change. Wide ratio boxes force higher RPM shifts. Close ratio boxes, (lower inner ratios), allow you to run closer to chosen power level. Class restrictions, car weight, tire size, etc., etc.... all enter into the equation. Please base your choices on the math, dyno, science, and the race track. This is way too much to cover with a single post!