What is this engine?

Post by speedtalk »

http://racingfeed.com/photos/unknown_engine.jpg

It was slow and made an unbelievable amount of noise
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
68gts426

Post by 68gts426 »

That is a rotory mazda rx 3 the motor is know by as a 12A or 13B motors the 13B is the more powerful of the 2 .when I was working for mazda at a engine class we were talking about the rotory motor the teacher said the problem is the motor runs out of air to make great power .They red line at 7k but was told that if you could get them enough air they would run betwwen 25k to 30k with no problems .The new RX8 my have a differnt motor in it then the old ones not sure
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

68gts426 wrote:They red line at 7k but was told that if you could get them enough air they would run betwwen 25k to 30k with no problems
Very interesting. You know it did sound like a lot of rpm. In fact, it was the most noise per HP I've ever heard :shock:

Nice going on the identification, I had no idea.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

Don't be fooled, those buzzsaws can make massive amounts of HP for the displacement, they move lots of air when the ports and port timing are done right.
Not unusual to see the 2 rotor 13B (1.3L) put out in excess of 800 wheel HP with a big turbo, and 300+ WHP NA.
The japanese and eastern markets got a version called a 20B which is a 3 rotor, and there are quite a few places that build a custom 4 rotor engine. The 4 rotor makes sick amounts of torque and HP without any power adders.
They have a reputation for being delicate, but they are strong, they just have ZERO tolerance for detonation. When the blow, they blow in spectacular fashion.

Post by Guest »

Come to the Philadelphia area. There are plenty of those sewing machine engines. RPM's like an F1 engine. Noise is unbelievable.