SB2.2 cooling mods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ChrisU
Pro
Pro
SB2.2 cooling mods

Post by ChrisU »

I'm in the process of building a SB2.2 big inch small block that will have quite a bit of nitrous thrown at it....

I have had one fellow from here contact me on mods but I'd like to also get some others input... I really think the cooling is going to make or break this deal...

So anyhow what are the typical cooling system mods that help evenly distribute temps in the heads and put the coolant where it is needed?

I have some SAE papers that were developed for nascar teams but I'd also like to see some others experiences.

Thanks
Chris
Uratchko Racing Engines
248-755-5556
Stevespeed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Stevespeed »

Have no experiance with the SB2.2 but something I have noticed on my dyno that applies to the majority of drag only cars. Almost universal acceptance of electric purpose built water pumps. You see them advertised at 30+ gpm flow rates. LOL. The flowmeter on my dyno shows actual flow rates of 10 to 11 gpm. Typical SBC with an Edelbrock conventional belt driven water pump and circle track style reduction pulleys will pump between 22 and 26 gpm. Interesting Kaase used a belt drive pump even with the HP loss on his winning EM contest Ford. Free flow numbers don't mean crap whether it's fuel pumps, water pumps, or whatever. :)
SWB
Pro
Pro

Post by SWB »

I've seen where they drill holes parallel to the deck across the head between the two center cylinders. I.E. they allow coolant or steam (or whatever) to travel between the two center cylinders in the deck itself. The holes get plugged with tiny brass plugs on the outside. There were some other mods I've seen that I can't remember though..

I have no way to back this up, but I think the best way to go (that I have seen) is with the mechanical pumps (belt driven) which have AN fittings to pump the coolant to the center of each bank. Then you run four hoses out the top of the manifold to a water "collector" which in turn goes back to the radiator. It's basically a "straight up" cooling system.

I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks of my ideas.

SWB
ChrisU
Pro
Pro
Post by ChrisU »

Thanks for mentioning the mechanical water pumps.... I was thinking about that and I am leaning toward that position.... they do offer 55 gpm pumps too that are electric.... :?:
Uratchko Racing Engines
248-755-5556
Hammons Motorsports

Post by Hammons Motorsports »

I fought some issues with our stuff this past year, which included cooling between the center cylinders.

Our heads are from RCR and are from the Busch Program.

They have cooling passages bored parallel to the deck between all cylinders. These ports are bored to a depth just beyond the the exhaust valve seats.

There is an intersecting passage that is bored from the deck. This passage coincides with the lower steam holes of a 400 block.

Then there is another set of passage above the others that are bored at an angle toward the deck that intersect the parallel passages at their extreme end. These are bored larger.

All access ports are tapped and plugged, both internal and external, except the angled passages between the center cylinders.

These passages have 1/8" npt x #4 AN fittings with tube extensions. These fittingss are plumbed to the legs of the water pump to supply an extra volume of coolant between the cylinders.

You will need to use these coolant circuits.

If you are using any block other than a 400, you will need to drill the steam hole passages to allow this cooling.

We are currently using a Dedenbear remote pump, but may change to a high volume Meziere remote just for insurance.

We are running methanol through an injector and had an issue with compression due to running it at 15:1.

We are back to 14.3:1 with a Flat piston and 50 cc chamber.

Our short block is a 4.190 bore x 3.875 stroke for 427 cid.
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

Bill Hendren of Hendren Racing Engines told me to drill the deck of the block to match both the small holes in the head (and gasket) that straddle the spark plug hole to increase cooling around the plug. He also suggested a 7/16" restrictor on the front water outlet in the head and a 1/2" on the back one to bias water flow to the back of the block/head to help balance flow.