ROLLER CAM BEARINGS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

STOCK 1090

ROLLER CAM BEARINGS

Post by STOCK 1090 »

At what point are roller cam bearings an advantage? Is it a function of spring pressure?

Don, I listened to "33 Steps" today (about five times). I liked the part about thinking like a genius.

Thanks!
If you always do what you have always done,you will always get what you always got.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: ROLLER CAM BEARINGS

Post by speedtalk »

Thanks for the nice comment. Do you race Stock Eliminator?
STOCK 1090 wrote:At what point are roller cam bearings an advantage?
When you can afford them. :D No really, I think every engine would be better off - no destroyed blocks from spun cam bearings, less oil consumption (which allows you to free up some HP in the oil pump)...
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
STOCK 1090

Post by STOCK 1090 »

Don,
Yes I am a Stock / Superstock guy. We enjoy going for the records.

I have not had issues with cam bearings spinning. I was just wondering if there are advantages to lower HP applications. How much oil do the roller bearings require? With a stock wet sump set up we fiddle with the pressure but are there ways of controling the gpm? Has anyone found any gains here.

Thanks
Richard Scaricamazza
If you always do what you have always done,you will always get what you always got.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

When you're on the dyno with a dry sump engine it's easy to test what oil pressure does - lower psi always equals more HP. It's at least 1hp per 10psi.

Roller cam bearings need no direct oiling. They lower engine oil consumption by ~30% so you can also use smaller pump gears.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin