LT-1 or LS-1 ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
LT-1 or LS-1 ?

Post by speedtalk »

Getting a gen4 f-body for the wife to drive next year. I'd like it to be a daily driver that can go 12s. Any advice? Best bang for the buck? Thanks
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
airflowdevelop

Post by airflowdevelop »

98 ls-1, look sharp for a good buy. With boltons you should have a nice 12 second ride for well under 10k.

Dennis
Air Flow Development
STOCK 1090

Post by STOCK 1090 »

Both engines can do it. It will take about 320-330 hp to hit the mid 12's. Simple mods will get you there. Intake up to and including the throttle body. Free flowing exhaust. Tuned up fuel/spark map. Rear end gears. A better designed cam if you wish.

Bang for the buck,stay with the LT1. Parts are more like the conventional SBC. You can still get cars in decent shape. If you wanted to rebuild the engine the parts are more common. No sleeves to deal with. LS1's also have been known to spit out the needles in the rollers rockers in street cars.
If you always do what you have always done,you will always get what you always got.
tk
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: LT-1 or LS-1 ?

Post by tk »

speedtalk wrote:Getting a gen4 f-body for the wife to drive next year. I'd like it to be a daily driver that can go 12s. Any advice? Best bang for the buck? Thanks
A buddy of mine ran 12.7 @ 110 with a 1994 Z28 6 sp with:

4.10 gears, spool, and axles
1000 cfm TB
Hypertech program
SLP hood , headers. and exhaust.

Oh yeah and 26" MT's
Tom K.
www.tkrace.com
tkracehead@hotmail.com

I love motorsports because all other sports require only 1 ball!

Cheap...Powerful....Reliable...Choose only 2 of the 3
Harbinger

Post by Harbinger »

Both engines have potential, but the LS1 has a definite edge in the cylinder head department. There are LS1 cars out there turning 11's with unported heads and smallish camshafts.

The LT1 is formidable, I happen to own a 97' Z28 that's quite a ways from stock now.
Getting in the 12's with these cars is a breeze. Your list of modifications would look something like this....
Headers, cat-back exhaust, 1.6:1 rockers, cold air induction, 3.73+ ring & pinion, QA1 shocks up front and a set of drag radials out back. Learn to launch the car, get the setup dialed in to produce 1.7 second (or better) 60' times and you should be close to mid-12's.

One weak link to these cars is the rear end. You can extend the life if you get a rear girdle from one of these outfits like T/A Performance.

The auto cars will pickup about .3-.5 tenths with a converter. 3000-3500 is what a lot of guys are running with the stock cam. I'm a 6-speed guy but that's what I'm seeing from others.

So you should be able to meet your goals easily and keep the smog police happy. :)

Good luck,
Chuck
EngineTech1
Expert
Expert
Post by EngineTech1 »

LS1 deffinitely, I know of one car in particular that recently made something like 420 hp to the rear wheels with aftermarket exhaust, FAST LS1 intake and a cam swap were the only major mods if I remember correctly. Erik Koenig ( Racer7088) designed this cam so if you want more accurate details ask him but this car was VERY drivable and got about the same gas mileage if I'm not mistaken.
J-Rod
Post by J-Rod »

I'd recommend the Ls1 as it is ahead of the LT-1 in many areas. Many Ls owners are former LT owners.

My own car is a stock 2002 Z06. With the car in a 100% stock state I have gone a 11.783 in -800 DA. With just the airfilter lid removed the car has gone 11.60's. The Ls1 is a great motor with lots of potential.

I drive one of the fastest H/C (head and cam + bolt ons, but stock bottom end) the car made 503RWHP and 455 lb/ft tq and ran some 10.70's on a slipping clutch @ +300 DA. With a new clutch and some changes over the winter we hope to go a lot quicker this year.

For a driver I would recommend a 2000 or later F-Body as they have some improvements (like center bolt vs perimiter bolt valve covers) over the 98 and 99 models.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

The LS1 cars were out of our budget. We found a '96 for $4300 in Indiana
http://projectautos.com/96-formula/index.html
http://projectautos.com/96-formula/formula-2.html
Last edited by speedtalk on Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
airflowdevelop

Post by airflowdevelop »

Don,
Call me concerning your new purchase.

Dennis
Air Flow Development
717-887-4666