Ignition Timing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Stocker

Ignition Timing

Post by Stocker »

Given todays sophisticated timing and ignition boxes, is a guy leaving anything on the table with regards to a static timing curve ? I have mine locked out, like most others in Stock / SuperStock, but my Superstock buddy takes some timing out at the launch, and brings it back in over a specified period of time, and again on the shift (Glide 1 shift).. my car is a 4-speed, so I'm wondering if this isn't a place to spend some time, and eeek out a few hundreths...
Mike....
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

I'm a big advocate or pulling timing out a peak torque and then bringing it back. I know pro-stock guys adding 1 to 2 degrees as they go down the track. Do some timing tests on the dyno and you'll see when adding timing, peak torque falls off before peak hp.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Stocker

Post by Stocker »

my car see's peak torque once during a run... and thats during the burnout :D . I'm having a hard time ciphering your answer. Prostockers are adding timing during each run between the gears ? ? Any idea how much they take out ?
Mike...
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Add timing as rpm increases - exactly the opposite of what you've heard. 1-2 degrees is probably best. Engines usually detonate around peak torque, not peak hp. So, another way to put it, pull out 1-2 degrees at low rpms and then let it come back.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin