383 stroker engine build advice

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jayjillz
383 stroker engine build advice

Post by jayjillz »

I'm trying to build a 383 stroker from the ground up. Already bought a bunch of parts i'm not gonna use, but what i will be keeping for use is a weiand speed warrior intake and eagle crank assembly. I need help matching together a camshaft and cylinder heads that will be compatible with the use of a twin turbo and also be a good daily driver. Good on mileage as well as not giving up alot of top end or bottom end. Hopefully someone can help me out with this stressful situation
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: 383 stroker engine build advice

Post by af2 »

jayjillz wrote:I'm trying to build a 383 stroker from the ground up. Already bought a bunch of parts i'm not gonna use, but what i will be keeping for use is a weiand speed warrior intake and eagle crank assembly. I need help matching together a camshaft and cylinder heads that will be compatible with the use of a twin turbo and also be a good daily driver. Good on mileage as well as not giving up alot of top end or bottom end. Hopefully someone can help me out with this stressful situation

Yep whenever you talk good mileage and 1000 hp it is stressful.. Good luck with the daily driver getting good mileage with that set up...
GURU is only a name.
Adam
jayjillz

Post by jayjillz »

I've read about it being done before but it can be very expensive with having to get most of the internal parts coated by swain, but a guy pulled off 982 hp with 92 octane, racing fuel would put him right over 1,000. But i'm looking for a slightly cheaper way to do it. This guy was a engineer for a company that makes engine parts so i'm sure it wasn't hard for him to figure out. But i'm looking for advice, not ignorance.
JohnnyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnnyB »

jayjillz wrote:I've read about it being done before but it can be very expensive with having to get most of the internal parts coated by swain, but a guy pulled off 982 hp with 92 octane, racing fuel would put him right over 1,000. But i'm looking for a slightly cheaper way to do it. This guy was a engineer for a company that makes engine parts so i'm sure it wasn't hard for him to figure out. But i'm looking for advice, not ignorance.
Sounds like you are looking for an old "Callaway Corvette" turbo build. Go find one of these, find out how they built it. That is about the closest I believe you will get to your "goal". ( however I don't believe they ever hit that much power )

One thing, you better be prepared for "slightly cheaper" being a figure that you still cant swallow.
If life was easy I would be bored. My EX-Wife has assured me I will never be bored.
Enigma
Pro
Pro

Post by Enigma »

Your first two posts imply that you know absolutely nothing about that which you are trying to talk about. I'd call that the root of the "ignorance". The experts and hobbyists are here to share and to assists those who need assistance, not to do homework for a kid who spent his allowance on a hotrod magazine and learned a few terms. Wipe your nose, read a few real books, save up fifteen grand, then build your twin turbo 383 and come back when you run into an issue in the building of it. Or put forth some effort by clicking the "last page" button here and start reading forward. Either way, smarting off, in your second post ever, to those who know more than you will ever even want to know.......will garner you no respect or credibility here jr.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

I'm with enigma here. Ignorance is JUST what you displayed....
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

First off what kind of money are you hoping to do this for?

1000hp for cheap no

Budget build..NO such thing. It will cost what it costs

You are on a site with the best guys worldwide they dont always tell you who they are

Humble yourself sit down listen, read read read.

most the stuff and claims you read off the web are crap or junk stuff tossed together and driven with a prayer ea time they start it they dont scatter parts on the road.

Steep learning curve so sit tight save your money and hang around.
Last edited by cv67 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

This thread may has a lot of good dyno proven info on a 383. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34126
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

three problems i hear ..1 st 383 and a 1000 hp...2nd 383 1000 hp and good gas mileage..3rd 383 1000hp good gasmileage and cheap..not saying it cant be done...but sounds expense and alot of time for nothing..
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Sorry to bring up a dead topic but I am having an issue.

Im currently building a 383 and not being a motor guy i was just hoping to get some input from everyone.

Heres what ive got: 1969 2dr nova turbo350 (art carr built) stock 10 bolt

engine: 350 4 bolt main 1 piece rear main seal block bored 30 over and micro honedclearenced for 400 crank,durabond cam bearings, eagle crank, clevite 77 rod and main bearings, gm o-rods (resized), hyperuetectic kieth black flat top pistons with 2 valve reliefs, speed pro file to fit rings, pioneer high tsi rod nuts, melling high volume oil pump, stock balancer.

Top end: Edelbrock 5087 alum. Heads as follows-2.08 intake,1.60 exhaust valves, 64cc comb chamber,210cc intake runner,62cc exhaust runner. Cam-speed pro #cs-179r or "l79 cam" specs- .050 dur int.222 ex.222, sae duration int.290 ex.290, cam lift int.298ex.298, valve lift int.447 ex.447, lobe centerline 110 int 118 ex 1:5 ratio roller rockers edelbrock victor jr intake 1 5/8 headers, im thinking a 850 holley?

Like i said im not a motor guy so if anybody sees a problem with this combo please let me know! Any one know what the specs would be? Like comp ratio, hp, torque etc? I need some input!!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I remember using the old l79 cam. Great sound but ancient tech now. Have one of the cam guys spec a new tech cam. It will be night and day. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I have used eagle parts before; not a fan. Budget build, buy a junk yard ls 5.3, boost the hell out of it. When you blow it up buy another one, by then you may have the tune down where your engine will live, then do your build.
MT Jeff
Pro
Pro

Post by MT Jeff »

A couple of things:
1 Start a new thread, you will get more help over resurectting a 5 year old post.
2 Get a modern cam, at least something like a Lunati Voodoo. I believe UD Harold designed those before he left us. Hydraulic roller would be way better yet. Call a pro.
3 The springs on those heads as built aren't correct for a hydrauluc flat tappet. Of course that cam pro guy will tell you what you need.
4 I personally would use a Rpm air gap dual plane if it's a more street orientated build.

Just my thoughts, Jeff.
Why is the least trained, lowest paid tech working on the most important part of your car, THE BRAKES ! I know I work next to him.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

jayjillz wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 pm I've read about it being done before but it can be very expensive with having to get most of the internal parts coated by swain, but a guy pulled off 982 hp with 92 octane, racing fuel would put him right over 1,000. But i'm looking for a slightly cheaper way to do it. This guy was a engineer for a company that makes engine parts so i'm sure it wasn't hard for him to figure out. But i'm looking for advice, not ignorance.
OK I am assuming from your post that you will be using a stock 350 GM block for this application? When GM designed the small block Chevy they were concerned with it supporting approx. 400HP you are wanting to more than double the HP the block was designed to support. How long do you want this engine to support 1,000 HP ? stop and think what you are asking your parts to do. no coatings will keep the bores round and the mains straight. A very good aftermarket block should be your first purchase in this project.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Zenon wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 am Sorry to bring up a dead topic but I am having an issue.

Im currently building a 383 and not being a motor guy i was just hoping to get some input from everyone.

Heres what ive got: 1969 2dr nova turbo350 (art carr built) stock 10 bolt

engine: 350 4 bolt main 1 piece rear main seal block bored 30 over and micro honedclearenced for 400 crank,durabond cam bearings, eagle crank, clevite 77 rod and main bearings, gm o-rods (resized), hyperuetectic kieth black flat top pistons with 2 valve reliefs, speed pro file to fit rings, pioneer high tsi rod nuts, melling high volume oil pump, stock balancer.

Top end: Edelbrock 5087 alum. Heads as follows-2.08 intake,1.60 exhaust valves, 64cc comb chamber,210cc intake runner,62cc exhaust runner. Cam-speed pro #cs-179r or "l79 cam" specs- .050 dur int.222 ex.222, sae duration int.290 ex.290, cam lift int.298ex.298, valve lift int.447 ex.447, lobe centerline 110 int 118 ex 1:5 ratio roller rockers edelbrock victor jr intake 1 5/8 headers, im thinking a 850 holley?

Like i said im not a motor guy so if anybody sees a problem with this combo please let me know! Any one know what the specs would be? Like comp ratio, hp, torque etc? I need some input!!
In my opinion you don't need a 2.08 valve in such a mild engine and a 4.030 bore. As for reworked GM rods by the time you pay the labor bill and bought new rod bolts you have near bought a better rod with better bolts. A 383 with 64 cc heads will need a fair dish in the piston for pump gas. Not a problem but be careful or you'll end up with more compression than you can deal with. For that size of cam I would go with a performer RPM intake. Not a great cam