Schubeck Roller X Lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

la360
Expert
Expert

Schubeck Roller X Lifters

Post by la360 »

Has anyone used these? I would be interested to know more about these, they may replace my Crane Roller lifters when they have done a season or so of racing.
Thanks
AL....
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

Can't give you a direct experience, but I can tell you that while it is hard to get word on these things (due to the fact they are banned in all the most popular classes of racing in the USA) - they are apparently the bees knees.

Translation - we also look forward to trying them. They have been used even on worn camshafts and restored them back to peformance. Word is they are the last lifters you'll ever need.

I have spoken to Joe and he can do them in either hydraulic form or the true roller. The roller is obviously the better lifter - and while the ball dimension presents a narrower surface width than a solid lifter, it can tolerate much faster ramps than a steel roller can. This gives engine builders the option of a cam with opening ramps like a race solid lifter can take - not previously easily done on a roller.

They are also cheaper than some of the Jesel lifters - and I think better - they were banned for their advantage not because they did not work.

His rockers look like a good piece too - sadly only available for SBC, with no plans to branch out last time I spoke to Joe. The oiling and load capability, plus the better weight to stiffness ratio makes for a great reving combo.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

I quite honestly understand the NHRA's reasoning behind quashing innovation in Drag Racing, This innovation is what creates new products etc.
AL....
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

Innovation is welcome only when it is introduced or controlled by the big sponsors.

Can't have little ol Joe running around making the big companies look slow now can we?

Like they say - follow the money. New sanctioning bodies have tried to rise up to provide more freedom - but as soon as they gather momentum they sell out to the pressure too, and so the cycle repeats.

There is R & D in the big companies, but their interests are not as "outside the box" as a true racer's is.

The solution might be for yet another sanctioning body to be formed that has innovation written and guaranteed into their constitution and that cannot be revoked by future committees.

An innovative body like that could provide racing classes that allow various degrees of lateral thinking right up to an open class that simply needs at least 4 wheels and a drivetrain... safety issues would of course be addressed

The current "communist-like" obsession to making every competitor as close as humanly possible is the very anti-thesis of the human spirit. It makes for boring viewing where you could swap badges around the pits and few would notice.

Of course the racers who might lose like to have rules to even everyone up - so let stay in F1, Indy, Nascar, NHRA etc.... this new body would be for those who are willing to go back to the roots of hot rodding and learn, grow, try new things, if it makes things faster - adopt it, then everyone involved benefits as R & D gets beyond the traditional boundaries.

There's a wealth of power outside traditional motorsport technology that simply does not fit the present rules

off soap box now
L98GTA

Post by L98GTA »

Torquemonster, I couldn't agree with you more!!
There are only a few places left where you can "run what ya brung"
The best I've found is open road racing (ORR). Races like the Silver state and Pony express. The rules are almost completely about safety equipement. It's up to you to figure out how to get the car to live through the race. Very few limitations on engines, chasis, hardly anything. Where else can you find a "60's Corvair and an '04 Corvette racing in the same class!! They leave it up to you. You pick the speed you want to run, they verify you've got the safety equipment and experience to compete SAFELY and off you go!
No huge corporate sponsors telling the officals what to do, great atmosphere and most of all..insane racing!
The top classes Average 180+ MPH for 90 to 130 miles depending on the race!! Top speeds can exceed 200 easily. Even the "slower" classes are hairy, the 130 MPH class has a tech speed limit of 165MPH!!! (due to minimum amount of safety gear required). This isn't on some groomed track made for going fast, this is on a closed off section of a state highway.
This is back to the roots of racing.
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

L98GTA - Agreed - the Silverstate Classic is a classic and I sincerely hope it will be with us for along time.... I'd also like to see that same opportunity reach road race circuits and the drag strip - that would herald in a brave new era of innovation and progress.

I've seen private individuals do some amazing things in the fringes - but with no where to go they are laughed to scorn trying to get attention in the traditional classes.

200+mph cruising is extremely dangerous however - but cool too. A friend of mine video'd his Viper one cool Chicago night coming up to a toll booth, stopping to pay then ran it thru the gears - 27 seconds later it hit the 6200rpm cut out in 5th gear at 212mph - at the one mile mark!

It only made 888rwhp then with a blower, his new one with twin turbos will exceed that by.... well lets say quite a bit. NOt sure if i want to ride with him or not now :D