Too much oil!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lorax
Guru
Guru
Re: Too much oil!

Post by lorax »

Kevin Johnson wrote:That is probably simply a result of the sump and draining oil rushing forward in the pan because of the reversed Gs in braking -- I am guessing your pan is shallower at the front? If your drain tubes/passages from the head are not shielded there is a good chance oil will be forced up them by the rotating assembly particularly on the upstroke side or USA passenger side head.
You can get oil thrown into the head by the crankshaft? Or you ASSUMING he has drain lines from the valve covers to the pan?
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

check your private message.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

lorax wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:That is probably simply a result of the sump and draining oil rushing forward in the pan because of the reversed Gs in braking -- I am guessing your pan is shallower at the front? If your drain tubes/passages from the head are not shielded there is a good chance oil will be forced up them by the rotating assembly particularly on the upstroke side or USA passenger side head.
You can get oil thrown into the head by the crankshaft? Or you ASSUMING he has drain lines from the valve covers to the pan?
Some engines do get massive amounts of oil thrown into the heads by the crank but you're right, I should not generalize. If the pan is shallow at the front the air churned into the oil by the crank will drastically lower the oil pressure. Check the design of the pan.

The key information was that the oil pressure did not drop until heavy braking began. That is different from "when I go through the finish line." After I go through the finish line.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
richardprisica

Post by richardprisica »

I think I have the solution now. Well, that loss of oil problem cost me a spun rod bearing. I got rid of my old pan and got an 8 qt flat bottom pan with windage tray and baffles, a standard melling race oil pump. I had the engine on a dyno last week and it did some good numbers......now it's time for the real deal.....Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield CA. It's is too hot walk up here but as soon as we have some air I will be out there beating the hell out of it. I want low 8's and no oil on the track!
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like you have too much air in your oil. Aerated oil does not drain, pump, or lubricate well. You need GOOD oil control in the pan to keep air out of the oil. Typically that means a deep pan and scrapers. Since you have spun a bearing, I think you should try a WELL DESIGNED dry sump system. The main purpose of a dry sump system is to eliminate air in the oil, since oil is sucked from the bottom of a deep tank, deeper than you can fit under the engine. Also, the thicker the oil you run, the longer it takes for the air to come out of the oil. What weight oil do you run?
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

If it has 15 lbs after lifting it sounds golden to me. That's a long way from zero.
What was the problem again?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."