What real hp are these import guys making??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: What real hp are these import guys making??

Post by peejay »

Leftcoaster wrote:
peejay wrote: The 1.7 was a VW block and (IIRC) Chrysler head. The 1.7 automatic trans is rare and very valuable since it gives VW drag racers a way to put power down, since almost all VW transverse transmissions are fragile junk and the Torqueflite is pretty tough.

No 4G63 or other related engine was ever used in a Chrysler product... the chaindrive 2.6 was used for a while in the 80s in the larger vehicles (Caravans mainly) untul Chrysler could get a V6. Never in the Omni/Horizon.
Interesting, since there are numerous internet postings extolling the virtues of swapping engine parts between the 4G63 and what I'll respectfully call "the Chrysler version" :shock:
Somebody is confused, then. I have a feeling that people are talking about swapping parts between the Mitsubishi and Chrysler versions of the 2.0/2.4 engine. There is some virtue to that given the different cylinder head layouts, it can be a lot easier to package a large turbo with a forward exhaust instead of a rearward one.

The engine that replaced the 4G63 and the 2.0/2.4 ("420A") engine was co-developed by Mitsubishi and Chrysler and is used in Mitsubishis, Mopars, and Hyundais. I can't for the life of me remember its code but it is the one used in a bazillion Patriots and Calibers as well as more illustrious vehicles like Evolution Xs and Genesis Coupes. But of course they're all a little different, the good bits are the Evo bits...
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i know anything maxed out aint gonna last.but theses punks with a checkbook will get there buts kicked 80 percent of the time cause they cant make the finnish line.ill take a v8 any day
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

peejay wrote: No 4G63 or other related engine was ever used in a Chrysler product...
You're forgetting Diamond-Star Motors (6-bolt 4g63) and Dodge pickup trucks (G63B). Might be more. I had to sort through all that making scraper patterns. Maybe you mean besides joint venture and re-badged.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Kevin Johnson wrote:
peejay wrote: No 4G63 or other related engine was ever used in a Chrysler product...
You're forgetting Diamond-Star Motors (6-bolt 4g63) and Dodge pickup trucks (G63B). Might be more. I had to sort through all that making scraper patterns. Maybe you mean besides joint venture and re-badged.
Yes, I did. DSMs (and Colts, and some non-convertible cloud cars) were just US-built Japanese cars, not Chrysler designs.

L-bodies were Chrysler design. Chrysler of France, maybe, but still Chrysler :) And the K-cars/minivans used the 2.6, which was a completely different engine family from the 4G63's.
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

I have a 2.0 liter Alfa Romeo making 600+ hp on gasoline from 7000-8000 RPM, 234 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats. That's WOT for 4 of the 5 miles . . . the car is traction limited in the first three gears. The crank, block and head are stock factory parts. Rods and pistons are aftermarket, converted to dry sump and the wet sleeves have been replaced with a monoblock . . . easy, just add a big turbo! \:D/
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

volodkovich wrote:Stock stroke All motor drag Honda K's are putting down 400+ to the wheels. That's got to be 450hp crank from 2.5L, a fairly insane 180hp/L.

99x90, 2000lbs, 9.92@136

I have a hard time believing that when a methanol fueled 16_1, 2.5l, 11k rpm midget engine that costs 20k makes 400hp.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Mitsubishi V6s ended up in chryslers too.

Was talking to a bloke a couple of years back, he knew someone who'd put a Mitsubishi V6 into a jet boad. A bit of headwork and cams, converted to methanol.....400HP from 3 litres.
But it sank, as they all do in the end. That's probably a reasonable figure?

Once you're playing with boost, the first limit is usually the octane, that's what holds you back, 1 bar on 98 RON should be enough for 150HP per litre with a bit of safety. That's using 8 to 1 CR.
After you've overcome that and turned it up a bit, you'll be over pressurising the cooling system.....lol.

Lots of people over here have 700HP Skylines......well they all are.....The RB26 ones.
The last Skyline owner I was talking to had one on his front garden under a tarp.
No, he wasn't going to show me any of the go faster bits in it.
It was broken of course, like all the 700HP skylines end up, the ones with fast talking owners.
Good for business for machine shops.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

englertracing wrote:
volodkovich wrote:Stock stroke All motor drag Honda K's are putting down 400+ to the wheels. That's got to be 450hp crank from 2.5L, a fairly insane 180hp/L.

99x90, 2000lbs, 9.92@136

I have a hard time believing that when a methanol fueled 16_1, 2.5l, 11k rpm midget engine that costs 20k makes 400hp.
The heads on the K engines are incredibly good flow-wise.

I went to look at the USAC rules to see what the valvetrain/displacement breaks are, and interestingly 4-valve DOHC engines have a 2000cc limit, except specifically for K24 engines, which have a 143ci limit, a 8700rpm limit.

It doesn't make sense to compare a no-rules engine's expense versus any engine built to a class limit. Rules intended to limit or equalize power are often the ones that make engines the most expensive. My favorite are the old Touring Car engine cylinder heads, which due to rules requiring stock castings be used, could easily cost more than contemporary Formula 1 heads. Chopping and channeling and machining (but, I think, no welding permitted) in ways to make a 70s Pro Stock builder proud. Angle milling, moving the flange faces inward for a better angle of entry (port window must stay same distance from deck...) completely machining off the cam boxes and fabricating new ones... but it's a "stock casting". Some of it, anyway. If the core shift was right, need to make a few heads before getting a good one. Might last only one or two races before cracking.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

GLHS60 wrote:The Chrysler SOHC 2.2/2.5 was actually more based on the old slant six.

The bore, stroke and bore spacing are almost identical.

Thanks
Randy
Is that so?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

GLHS60 wrote:
Although the slant six is a pushrod engine, the SOHC 2.2/2.5 was designed to use existing tooling.

Thanks
Randy
What tooling is shared? The block or head or crankshaft or other internal /external parts other than what you mentioned? ? Do the fit into the same fixtures for machining?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

GLHS60 wrote:The tooling to bore the cylinders is what was existing and often mentioned as the most expensive.

Thanks
Randy
The gang boring and honing equipment must be expensive..
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

That's why so many Ford engines use the same bore centers. Lots of other manufacturers also use this economy of tooling. Heck, VW seemingly engineered themselves into a corner with their 88mm bore centers (allegedly, VW didn't even design the engine, they acquired it with the purchase of NSU) since the practical limit for their architecture is 500cc/cylinder, but displacements are trending downward again so they may need to hang on to that tooling after all :D

I like the 400/351M block. They were cranking out engines with bore centers defined by (again, IIRC) the Y-block, but they needed to go bigger, so they just raised the deck height so it was the same as the 460. A true mutt. Windsor/Cleveland boring tooling and 385 decking tooling.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

I was wondering what was up with that... all of the vintage rally footage clearly showed a rear drive chassis!
skippy

Post by skippy »

Here is Jett Racing's 2.2L 4G63 powered Mitusbishi Eclipse running a 6.57 @223mph (1/4mile). Billet block, crank, rods. I told one of the members here the horsepower figures that I'd seen for this thing and they ceased all contact with me after that point so you'll have to figure out the hp on your own. The video was from almost 2 years ago and I'm fairly sure he's run faster than that since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDSo_1xHxzA
Paul Rig

Post by Paul Rig »

jeff8407 wrote:Y
The Ford Duratec/ Mazda MZR will also put out big HP numbers in naturally aspirated form too. The 2.0 will make 260+ and the 2.3 make more than 300 hp. You can buy these as crate engines in the U.K. from Ford/Cosworth. Keep in mind these numbers are without the larger cylinder head available on the 2.5 sold here in the States, but not available in Europe.
A friend of mine that produces parts for a duratec 2.0 (custom alloy drysump bellhousing engine mounts water rail)
Produces 314hp NA out of the 07 duratec 2.0 at 8300rpm on e85 in a RWD setup and its an honest number.
Surprisingly cheap to build to that level. stock crank keywayed balanced lightened, aftermarket- pistons, conrods, cams, throttlebodies, minor flowbench work and ecu.
And that lasted 5years improved production racing around Mallala.

Im chasing 290hp on petrol and will probaly get 270 @8500-9k'ish