Brand name TSP isn't, use the real thing
forgot about Engine Brite sorta like diesel in a can
Used to use Tide, it seemed to work better
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Block cleaning

Post by SupStk »

Nothing cleans like HOT soapy water before final assembly. I use Dawn and scrub brushes in hot water. Final rinse with hot water pressure washer. WD-40 prevents alligatering before blowing dry.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

SupStk wrote:Nothing cleans like HOT soapy water before final assembly. I use Dawn and scrub brushes in hot water. Final rinse with hot water pressure washer. WD-40 prevents alligatering before blowing dry.
X2
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

I like the purple power stuff you buy at wally world, it's really good at cutting oil, and especially machining oils such as hone oil.

It is really hard on garden hoses and sprayers, but I hook up directly to the hot water heater and use that for a rinse.

Using the steaming hot water means it dries almost instantly, especially with the help of compressed air.

I do not use WD-40. I use a lint free cloth with Dexron on the cylinders.
Modified49

Post by Modified49 »

PURPLE POWER prob the best thing ever we have began using it on everything even use it in the parts cleaner instead of mineral spirits now but the stuff we get is not concentrated like the walmart stuff we get it out of a 55 gallon drum. it also does a wonderful job for carb parts and anything grease or oil related
sam-missle

Post by sam-missle »

Another vote for purple power.
SAM-MISSLE
SOUTHERN AUTO MACHINE
931-728-7800
donc
Guru
Guru

Post by donc »

X2 purple power, I use thinner to swab out bores, then a light film of marvel oil.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I still say ixnay on the solvents, thinner, and wd 40 you need something that floats the particles out not imbeds them deeper
I'll have to look into the purple stuff
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

ill also have to check out the purple stuff! I've been wanting to put something else in my parts washer- the mineral spirits are really getting me down lately :(
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Don't let the purple sit on your machined surfaces over night. Something in the mix reacts with it and will discolor and etch the fresh iron surface. I have a 30 percent solution in a vat and have nearly ruined fresh cylinder bores by letting them sit over night. Whatever it is, it settles to the bottom of the bore, (block siting crank vertical), and chews into the metal.
So much to do, so little time...
6sally6
Expert
Expert

Post by 6sally6 »

A big fan of Brakleen for cleaning the cylinder walls...followed by ATF and lotsa clean shop towels.
6sally6
Old Timer4

Post by Old Timer4 »

rfoll wrote:Don't let the purple sit on your machined surfaces over night. Something in the mix reacts with it and will discolor and etch the fresh iron surface. I have a 30 percent solution in a vat and have nearly ruined fresh cylinder bores by letting them sit over night. Whatever it is, it settles to the bottom of the bore, (block siting crank vertical), and chews into the metal.

The purple stuff does a number on polished aluminum as well. Tried it on an open wheel dirt car at the car wash. Did a good job on engine & carb. but it put etched in streaks on the polished aluminum panels.
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robert Kane »

If you're going the car wash route, or otherwise, try using the wet-vac to dry off the block. and blast it with WD-40 asap to avoid "flash rusting".
important thing when cleaning a block is scrub the bore until the paper towel shows clean. Hottest soapy water u can put your hands in work well.
Robert.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Watch car washes because state DNR/Water Pollution Programs probably monitor them for shit*y water going into the Public Works water treatment plants.

Look around for tattle-tail cameras......

pdq67
booger1

Post by booger1 »

Dish soap and hot water....toilet bowl brush for cleaning bores......scrub until suds are white.