stack filtration

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

stack filtration

Post by Belgian1979 »

Would the below type of sockfilter cause too much restriction? To not is the sock has a spring inside to keep it from collapsing and is sprayed with oil.

user-9613590

Re: stack filtration

Post by user-9613590 »

Just get rid of them;no place in any engine..

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 6&d=0&nmt=
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

They are near useless for anything other than a pre filter. Aside from the fact they don't really filter all that well, they flow like crap which creates pulsations induced into the filter that actually help move crude thru them.

Get some K&Ns.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

The stack bellmouths are very close together so a K&N stack filter would not work on this I guess.

Any other options ?
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

An airbox around all the stacks on each side, and a large pleated paper filter, fed from a cool air source. As large as possible. The bigger, the better.
Before deciding that "there's no room for that", think about the loss of probably 100 hp or more that you spent time and money to gain, and then are looking at pissing it away with a crappy restrictive air supply package.
Make room for it. It is necessary.
Big plenums, big filter surface area, cool air source.
Never use hot air from under the hood for the intake if there is any way to avoid it.

My 2 cents.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

twl wrote:An airbox around all the stacks on each side, and a large pleated paper filter, fed from a cool air source. As large as possible. The bigger, the better.
Before deciding that "there's no room for that", think about the loss of probably 100 hp or more that you spent time and money to gain, and then are looking at pissing it away with a crappy restrictive air supply package.
Never use hot air from under the hood for the intake if there is any way to avoid it.

My 2 cents.
This. Air box and remote filters is the way to go. How much clearance have you got from trumpet to hood?
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Morgo wrote:Just get rid of them;no place in any engine..

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 6&d=0&nmt=
that was my test. socks are at best a temporary thing to sort something that works properly

when 100% dry the run would fall half way in between the two shown
mystic1582
Pro
Pro

Post by mystic1582 »

Is there room for something like this on each bank?
There are other filters (midget) on this website. You might have to make the base similar to this one.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Micro-Min ... 47869.html
67satellite

Post by 67satellite »

O.K., I'm a nobody here. A do-it-all-at-home street rat, and when I saw that filter the first thing I thought was "that would make a nice valve cover breather".Way inadequate for anything above stock Briggs & Stratton.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

Something like this with half sausage style filter might work:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/it ... tg-jc50ctt

However that's foam construction as well...
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

digger wrote:
that was my test. socks are at best a temporary thing to sort something that works properly

when 100% dry the run would fall half way in between the two shown
Wow. I've long thought that the little individual filters were restrictive, but that is simply staggering.

Make a box that all of the runners (one bank or both) can draw from, then filter the air going into that.

I've killed enough engines from poorly filtered air to ever want to think about running without an air filter under ANY conditions. I'm not rich enough or have enough free time that I can throw engines away that easily.

edit: Thanks for the link. I see that David Baker is still kicking and putting good info online.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The big issue with individual filters is that even with a long duration cam they are flowing less than 40% of the time, and so have to be really big to prevent significant air restriction during the 'gulp'. By using a plenum feeding half or all of of the engine, each cylinder effectively has the whole filter pretty much to itself.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:
twl wrote:An airbox around all the stacks on each side, and a large pleated paper filter, fed from a cool air source. As large as possible. The bigger, the better.

My 2 cents.
This. Air box and remote filters is the way to go. How much clearance have you got from trumpet to hood?
About 3.5" right above the stacks, less above the valve covers.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

mystic1582 wrote:Is there room for something like this on each bank?
There are other filters (midget) on this website. You might have to make the base similar to this one.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Micro-Min ... 47869.html
I'm not sure about that one. Not enough details to make sure. I cannot bolt the filter base plate to the throttle bodies as mosts of these type filter do, since the fuel rail and manifold is in the way. I would need to be able to mount the baseplate directly under the bend end of the bellmouths and then I would need to fab some sort of support for it (that also is a problem on this one).
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Calypso wrote:Something like this with half sausage style filter might work:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/it ... tg-jc50ctt

However that's foam construction as well...
+ if you look closely you can see that the baseplate bolts to the throttle bodies. I've been looking at the Piper setup as well.