Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Re: Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer

Post by machine shop tom »

[quote="4banger".............. I have an old truck I would like to keep driving..ford ranger 2.9 v6 4x4 5 speed. the lower radiator hose split while driving and ran all water out before I realize it and it ran hot and now blows bubbles out radiator when cap is off.
....................[/quote]

Hopefully you didn't crack a head, although it's likely. The good news is that there are new castings still available and the price is good because they are pretty much a dead seller. At least have the heads checked and resurfaced.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Well I have to be contrary to the naysayers Blue devil doesn't stop up radiators, heater cores, or blocks. It remains in suspension until it is exposed to combustion chamber temperatures. For this reason it will not fix any external leaks. After you pull the head on an engine that has been treated you will find a glassy shellac mound where it has been sealed. BTW if there is coolant in the oil it will not fix this leak either. All the peps that use there bad experience 20+ years ago probably have no idea what Blue-Devil is or its chemical make-up. And remember who Blue-Devil is marketed usually poor people. Speaking to the guys that say FIX IT RIGHT consider if you have a vehicle that is worth $500-800 running and you don't own a machine shop or have equipment to use for free are you going to spend $500-1000. Well what does common sense tell you. Dump $30 of blue devil in or junk it. If you don't have no common sense if your an idiot or maybe it was your dads truck and you have sentimental attachment you take a $800.00 truck and spend $1000.00 on it lol.

From my past experience if it isn't leaking externally near the exhaust and head bolts from a crack they are probably not cracked
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

gvx wrote:Well I have to be contrary to the naysayers Blue devil doesn't stop up radiators, heater cores, or blocks. It remains in suspension until it is exposed to combustion chamber temperatures. ....................
Don't spend much time cleaning and resurfacing heads (that have been treated with Blue Devil) do you? I have, and yes, it was sold to them from the NAPA store my shop is at. And I have seen it plug radiators, too.

I do agree with the cost factor versus the vehicle's worth.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
4banger
Pro
Pro

Post by 4banger »

OK while I like the truck it's an 88 ranger I paid 1500 for it 12 years ago. I sure got my money's worth out of it. I thought of pulling engine and trans and putting in a SBF and just run it as a 2 wheel drive. I'm not fond of the 2.9L as it is so weak it will barely pull a frog out of a mud puddle. maybe try sealer and if doesn't work replace motor with either a 5.0 or 351w maybe a nice 289! Thanks for all the help.......
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

gvx wrote:Well I have to be contrary to the naysayers Blue devil doesn't stop up radiators, heater cores, or blocks. It remains in suspension until it is exposed to combustion chamber temperatures. For this reason it will not fix any external leaks. After you pull the head on an engine that has been treated you will find a glassy shellac mound where it has been sealed. BTW if there is coolant in the oil it will not fix this leak either. All the peps that use there bad experience 20+ years ago probably have no idea what Blue-Devil is or its chemical make-up. And remember who Blue-Devil is marketed usually poor people. Speaking to the guys that say FIX IT RIGHT consider if you have a vehicle that is worth $500-800 running and you don't own a machine shop or have equipment to use for free are you going to spend $500-1000. Well what does common sense tell you. Dump $30 of blue devil in or junk it. If you don't have no common sense if your an idiot or maybe it was your dads truck and you have sentimental attachment you take a $800.00 truck and spend $1000.00 on it lol.

From my past experience if it isn't leaking externally near the exhaust and head bolts from a crack they are probably not cracked
Seen that stuff first hand clog heater cores. Bad stuff if you need heat...LOL