EQ Cylinder Heads
http://www.rogersperformance.com
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Re: Starterless Engine Starting

Post by lada ok »

nothings new mike,
do some research and you'll find this principal was used mmmm .... about 80 years ago .... although I think 6 cyl engines was the minimum
6sally6
Expert
Expert

Post by 6sally6 »

Long stop/idle-less periods gonna get pretty uncomfortable with NO AC blowing on those upper ninety temp/humidity days. MAYBE windows will roll up and down when automatically when stopped! :lol: #-o
6sally6
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

6sally6 wrote:Long stop/idle-less periods gonna get pretty uncomfortable with NO AC blowing on those upper ninety temp/humidity days. MAYBE windows will roll up and down when automatically when stopped! :lol: #-o
6sally6
... or just drive the A/C compressor with an electric motor independently of the engine. Quite a number of hybrid cars already do this. It has the additional advantage of being able to drive the A/C compressor at a variable speed dictated by cooling demand, rather than being locked to an engine speed that doesn't necessarily correspond with cooling load ... and the compressor no longer needs to be on the front of the engine, either, and can be placed wherever you choose.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

This is why I always turn this thing off.

This unique technology achieves an engine restart time of 0.35 seconds, the best in its class (automatic transmission vehicles, based on in-house measurements). As the engine starts, the brake is immediately released and the car can move again quickly. Due to the rapid restart, this system does not inconvenience the driver, which is vital in situations such as turning across an oncoming lane of traffic at a traffic light.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

sorry to b negative but its more crap to wear out.although I know why they do it.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

jake197000 wrote:sorry to b negative but its more crap to wear out.although I know why they do it.
>> Simple is bad ! More complicated always wins the bucks, in a techno pissing match. #-o
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

miniv8 wrote:This is why I always turn this thing off.

This unique technology achieves an engine restart time of 0.35 seconds, the best in its class (automatic transmission vehicles, based on in-house measurements). As the engine starts, the brake is immediately released and the car can move again quickly. Due to the rapid restart, this system does not inconvenience the driver, which is vital in situations such as turning across an oncoming lane of traffic at a traffic light.
The thing I have never bothered to find out is how they keep oil pressure in the motor. Starting up and pulling out into traffic quickly without oil pressure multiple times every trip is not good.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Only has 1000 mile warranty on the motor. HeHeHe.
reed
mrriggs

Post by mrriggs »

racear2865 wrote:Only has 1000 mile warranty on the motor. HeHeHe.
reed
Yeah, 1000 miles or a single stop-and-go traffic jam, whichever comes first.
twimcam

Post by twimcam »

jake197000 wrote:sorry to b negative but its more crap to wear out.although I know why they do it.
I agree, we should go back to hand cranking start, less crap to wear out. You will only wear out your arms. Screw new technology.
JohnnyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnnyB »

"Works fine" , almost lasts a long time.

First of many lawsuits will be when you inch out into a busy intersection, step on the gas, it hesitates, doesn't start immediately like it is advertised as,,,,,,,,, and moves you just enough into a line of traffic that you get creamed Then it wont matter if you lived or not. Some attorney will get involved. The end result will be massive suits and settlements out of court for some, and in court for others. Some engineer somewhere will be getting their butt reamed a couple of years from now. :roll: #-o
If life was easy I would be bored. My EX-Wife has assured me I will never be bored.
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

About forty years ago as a SAE member engineer for a major truck manufacturer I vividly recall doing research on engine wear. Papers had already been written which showed that over three quarters of engine wear within a typical street driven engine occurs during startup cycles. :shock:

Draw your own conclusions but remember, the purveyors of this are selling cars (and engines) and are under mandate from DC to squeeze out fuel mileage to motorcycle territory. The average Joe looks at gas mileage, without any concept of life cycle costs.

Decades later, go to a truck stop late at night and listen. Those trucks are idling to save money, not fuel.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

im not against technology I think its great but new cars have so much unnessesary stuff on them. much of which doesn't proveout at customer expense.studys have shown that many people don't want every bell and whistle.
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

6sally6 wrote:Long stop/idle-less periods gonna get pretty uncomfortable with NO AC blowing on those upper ninety temp/humidity days. MAYBE windows will roll up and down when automatically when stopped! :lol: #-o
6sally6
FWIW - a friend of mine bought a new Impala with the stop/start system. On his car, the engine does not stop if the A/C is on. The starter is also unique. It has an additional solenoid . . . to engage the pinion (pre-position for a faster start) in the ring gear after the engine stops. I wonder how many starters and ring gears it will need to make it to 100,000 miles? #-o