Advance or Retard cam question?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Advance or Retard cam question?

Post by cgarb »

Got the garage cleanout special fired today, couple of tuning issues a carb change and a front end alignment it ready to go saturday. I went for a blast down the road today, its not as fast as my car for sure but it should make a first timer smile. The cam sounds really radical in that little motor. Sounds faster than it is.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Took the RX-7 to the track today. It was muggy and somewhat hot today. Most of the cars we know were 1to2 tenths slower than normal. The car weighed out at 2492 without a driver.my stepbrother is right around 190 so race ready its probably 2700. It ran a best of 11.84 at 115. Kind of sluggish out of the gate with a 1.70 60ft. We shifted at 6k and it went through the traps at 6k. It still needs some carb tuning, it wont idle unless we set it way up like at 2k. You have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running. My stepbrothers first day out he ran trophy class and won. Not too bad. Now we will move him up to street where he can run for some money.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I ran a cam too big for my displacement and compression ratio, and the way I got it to idle was to lock the timing at 36 degrees. You might try some kind of limiting device and run plenty of initial and see if it solves the idle issue.
So much to do, so little time...
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Yes i think some is timing related, the distributor only has about 12deg advance in it. Tomorrow we are going to advance the timing 2deg and see if it helps and take the carb apart and blow everything out again. I want to clean the fuel filter. Eveything was new so maybe some dirt got moving around when we started it.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

My stepbrothers first day out he ran trophy class and won.
Not too bad.
an understatement
congrats
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Stepbrother ran the car again today, we put lighter springs in the distributor and moved the timing from 36 to 38 and lost a tenth. Then we moved it to 34 and went an 11.69 at 116. He jumped up to street class today and lost 4th round in the semifinals. He had a good first weekend in the car.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Car/engine needs 4.88 gears. Glides need gears. Get it to trap as close to 7000 as possible.
Locking out the timing -34-36deg locked will fix the idle and throttle response -launch.
Then rug it from near idle stage rpm. (1000ish rpm) You are makeing about 385 HP.
Heads- you got want you paid for-. good heads that work right do not get sold off cheap.

Needs a th 350. and or a lot more gear. Glides are a mistake in low HP cars.