I Chipped a Tooth (On My Cam Gear)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

snub
I Chipped a Tooth (On My Cam Gear)

Post by snub »

Brand new Cloyes timing set that I bought a few years back. Just getting around to using it. Took it out of the package, installed it on the engine , spun it a few times and noticed this. I can't believe that this is something I did. It looks like someone took a hammer to it. According to Cloyes it is " billet steel". I opened the package when I got it and didn't notice this. Still can't believe I caused it. I'm guessing it is junk now. Yes/no/maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: I Chipped a Tooth (On My Cam Gear)

Post by BOOT »

You can prob buy just the gear if you call them up. I've had my share of too late found bad parts I bought awhile back. I have the same pretty much billet timing set that I checked out when I got it. I assumed it was oily enough and the gears rusted up on me after I handled them(my fault).

I could go on forever about part issues, it cost me more time than anything, this year has been real bad.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

snub wrote:Brand new Cloyes timing set that I bought a few years back. Just getting around to using it. Took it out of the package, installed it on the engine , spun it a few times and noticed this. I can't believe that this is something I did. It looks like someone took a hammer to it. According to Cloyes it is " billet steel". I opened the package when I got it and didn't notice this. Still can't believe I caused it. I'm guessing it is junk now. Yes/no/maybe?

I have seen that before as well. Don't use it. I have seen the aftermath of those that have.The cast top gear street sets get beat up worse in shipping then the billet sets do but Its not worth the risk either way.
There is a new replacement gear available while its about half the cost of a set you may think about just keeping the chain and bottom gear as spares and getting a complete set.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
snub

Post by snub »

ProPower engines wrote:
snub wrote: There is a new replacement gear available while its about half the cost of a set you may think about just keeping the chain and bottom gear as spares and getting a complete set.
I went to the Cloyes website but could only find replacement chains. Any help finding the gear would be appreciated. My gear has -100DAX- stamped in it.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

snub wrote:
ProPower engines wrote:
snub wrote: There is a new replacement gear available while its about half the cost of a set you may think about just keeping the chain and bottom gear as spares and getting a complete set.
I went to the Cloyes website but could only find replacement chains. Any help finding the gear would be appreciated. My gear has -100DAX- stamped in it.

Call Cloyes directly.
I do not have the number handy but that was what I did last time.It looks like you have the cloyes 9-3500TX9 set .
Its been a while since I have got a single gear from the warehouse so they may not even offer it any more.
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

yes/no/maybe
My vote is yes use it it's in the first 25% of the tooth which is not used, and if your thinking it
will skip no way by the time it comes around to engage the chain you already have 22-24
teeth engage, if it was 1/16" or more down maybe I'd vote no. Take a hone stone and smooth
the rough edges and go have fun.
P.S. if it's for a customer then yes you need to change it, if it's for yourself screw it use it.
snub

Post by snub »

A story with a happy ending.

I packaged up my timing set and took it back to the point of purchase ( Lordco Auto Parts) hoping that they would at least assist me in obtaining a new gear. I half jokingly ask the counter guy if there is a statute of limitations on returns. He replies " As long as you have the receipt, there isn't one". No questions asked as to why I want to return it, he has ordered me a new one. I just have to return with the receipt and a new one will be in hand.

I found the receipt. Dated- March 2008.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

which store do you deal with?
I deal with them daily but the counter guy may be mistake I hope it works out for you all the same :D
snub

Post by snub »

Scott at the Langford store. I've been dealing with him for many years so that may have something to do with it. Hopefully it pans out.
4banger
Pro
Pro

Post by 4banger »

snub wrote:I found the receipt. Dated- March 2008.
You had a receipt from 6 years ago? I can't find a receipt from last week !! You da man!! =D>
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...
snub

Post by snub »

All is well, I have my new timing set and my faith in humanity is restored.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

wish I had your store
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

If that didn't work, you could have bought a new set from Summit and returned the old set in the new box. That's probably what your parts guy did.
Joe Facciano
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Hey it's good news on the replacement. but if replacement wasn't forth coming, I would have no hesitation in using the damaged part,
my reasoning would be that the driven sprocket has twice as many teeth as the driver, not only that the arc of contact is much greater on the driven sprocket, just clean up the tooth with a file
I bet you could remove every second tooth, .... left right left right etc ...... would that save hp ?
JohnnyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnnyB »

JoePorting wrote:If that didn't work, you could have bought a new set from Summit and returned the old set in the new box. That's probably what your parts guy did.
Would not be the first time that this has happened.. :roll:
If life was easy I would be bored. My EX-Wife has assured me I will never be bored.